1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A good read on Priest Holmes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 12, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

You can blame that fucktard Herm Edwards for that.

Hell, the least they could have done was use Priest more as a decoy. But no, third-and-long, 2-yard pass to LJ, who can't catch-and-run.

At least Priest isn't afraid to block.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I had a connecting flight in KC about four years ago and Priest hopped on board and sat right across the aisle from me. It was probably a two-hour flight from there, and either no one knew who he was or no one cared. I was amazed, since he was a pretty damned good player at that point in a football-crazy town.

Seemed like a nice guy.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That fucktard has Kansas City 4-3 and in sole possession of first place. With the lack of talent on the offensive line and at kicker, I think I'll take it any year.

LJ can't catch and run? Is that why he converted that third-and-2 play before his TD by gutting it out on the sideline and diving for the first down?

4. HandsomeHarley

Bullshit. The Chiefs are 4-3 because of a tenacious defense and a weak schedule, not because of Germ Edwards.

He has the greatest tight end in NFL history and the best rookie receiver in the league and he continues to play small-ball, calling for 2-yard screen passes and soft tosses to his running back and quasi fullback.

Oakland, meanwhile, went down the field on two passes, the equivalent of hitting the 3-run home run.

Herm Edwards and Mike Solari, and their crappy conservative offense will catch up to them sooner than later.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

And we have a winner.
    Can't remember how many plays Sunday when a passing play was seven to eight yards short of the first-down marker. They rely too heavily on players breaking tackles.

6. Jimmy Pips

Jimmy Pips Member

So who gets the credit for that defense then? Dick Vermeil?

7. HandsomeHarley

Um, Carl Peterson. The GM.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Chiefs strength of schedule is 11th overall.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Weak schedule? Jacksonville? Houston? Two teams in the NFL's best division with Indy still to come (oh boy). San Diego? Heck even Oakland isn't half bad. There are worse schedules out there.

Gonzalez has 42 catches this year, one fewer than Gates. Bowe is on pace for more than 1,000 yards. And with this gawd-awful offensive line, what do you expect? Dick Vermeil's offense? Not going to happen. Losing Roaf and Shields ... you just can't find guys like that on the waiver wire.

Typical Chiefs fan. During a season where nothing was expected, still pissed off by being in first place.

10. HandsomeHarley

Chiefs nursing a 2-point lead in the waning minutes of the game.

First down: Run up the middle. Second down: Run up the middle. Third down: Run up the middle. Punt.

Give the home team the ball back with plenty of time and a kicker with a strong leg.

Page's interception is the only thing keeping the Chiefs from losing to the fucking Raiders and Herm Edwards had nothing to do with that.

Typical Chiefs fan. Get excited about a 12-10 victory when the offense wasn't allowed to do shit.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Get excited about a road win? You bet. Take them any way, shape or form. Who gives a shit how the game was won? You don't get a bonus win for winning with style.

And we are talking about the Raiders. Give them the ball back and watch them implode. They do it all the time. And when you have a good defense like Kansas City does, you trust them to win the game. That's what happened.

And when you have a lead late in a close game, you try to get the opposing team to use timeouts by running the ball. When you have a journeyman QB, what do you want him to do with less than 3 minutes left? Fling it all over the field? How about get sacked because of an iffy offensive line and maybe fumble? With Kansas City's defense, you can trust it to make a play.

And actually, if you recall the last drive, Priest Holmes ran for a first down and was unjustly called out of bounds (Phil Simms brought that up that Holmes was down before going out of bounds). But it doesn't matter. Kansas City won.

Enjoy being miserable for the next two weeks, and probably the rest of the year, and probably well into next year and beyond. I kind of am enjoying the view from first place, especially considering the Chiefs were supposed to be among the worst teams in the NFL this year. Hell, you predicted the Chiefs wouldn't win a game this year during the Minnesota game. Since then, they've won 4 of 5 and are in first place alone. Good stuff.

12. HandsomeHarley

I agree that a win is a win, especially against the Raiders. But I can't get my hopes up for a team that is just a few busted plays from being 1-6 because if a coach who pisses down his leg every week.

If they're afraid of their quarterback, then they need to sit his ass down and get Croyle in there. At least Croyle doesn't appear to panic every time he drops back.

The Chiefs are about two good offensive linemen away from truly competing for a title. But instead of working on those needs, Peterson likely will add more quarterbacks and receivers because he doesn't know any better. Hell, he knew he was going to need to address the aging line 4-5 years ago, but did little about it, instead opting for busts such as Ryan Sims.

You look at a team such as New England and see why the Patriots are considered Super Bowl hopefuls every year. Even when they go 13-3, nobody takes the Chiefs seriously because they have yet to put together a consistent winning formula due to a ship-shod coaching staff and front office.

Just like the Royals -- I'm not about to get all excited because they managed to avoid another 100-loss season. Yes, they appear to be on the upswing, and I'd love to be optimistic, but it wasn't that long ago when they had an outfield of Beltran, Damon and Dye and look what happened there.

When the Chiefs are good enough to host a playoff game again, I will be -- cautiously -- optimistic. But we've been burned before -- both by offensive-minded coaches who couldn't play defense and defensive gurus who couldn't move the football.

I'm not old enough to remember the Super Bowl years. All I have to remember are 13-3 seasons with rosters full of All-Pros who couldn't get the job done in January. And I (and many others) blamed the head coach back then, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted