1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A good read about Eric Show from ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I don't think he said that.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Rose was complaining about the pitchers (Gene Garber?) throwing breaking pitches, rather than fastballs.

3. Smasher_Sloan

It was Larry McWilliams and Garber, and they were throwing off-speed pitches. Hitters always think pitchers should "challenge the hitter" by throwing fastballs. If a pitcher has an average or below average fastball -- like those two did -- it's a losing proposition.

They <i>did</i> challenge Rose by throwing the offspeed pitches. But hitters never see it that way. They think it should always be muscle vs. muscle. That's common in baseball, not unique to Rose.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Very good story.
    Anybody else think Friend kind of bent over backward to soft-peddle the John Birch Society business? I'm not sure you just stumble naively into becoming a Bircher.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I fail to see how giving up an opposite-field single in the first inning of a meaningless September game makes anyone a "goat." (which is a word Friend used in the story)

6. Smasher_Sloan

Correct. It doesn't rise to the level of Donnie Moore, which seems to be the suggestion Friend is trying to make.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I think people like stories like this because we don't often find stories about athletes with mental instability that get this close to the heart of the matter. It's usually so hard to get such things sourced and to get this level of honesty and depth in your quotes, etc.

But the fear and internal conflict you see every day in the locker room (or at least most days, depending on who you're paying attention to) tell more truth than can often be substantiated and printed.

Draft saved Draft deleted