1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A good read about Eric Show from ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Re: A really good read from ESPN

Read the ESPN story last night. Great story.

Personally, I don't see why, when they knew there was going to be a long ceremony if Rose got the hit, the Padres just didn't pull everyone off the field until the game was ready to resume. Was it Marge Schott who told them to stay out there? If so, the Padres should have told her to go to hell.

Never fully understood the ripping Show took for sitting on the mound. Yeah, I know it's against baseball etiquette. But his teammates should have given him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Heck, today, if a rain delay goes more than a half-hour or so, they take the pitcher out of the game.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Great story.

I remember Gary Templeton calling Show's sit-down "bush league."

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't realize Show was dead, let alone dead for 15 years. I'm really, really not trying to start something here, but did anyone else find the drug abuse and deep faith at odds? Most people I know of deep faith are total straight arrows.

And how odd that I look at the tag at the bottom that Friends was the beat writer for the 1985 Padres for the LA Times San Diego edition the same way people think of full service gas stations.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What planet do you live on.

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

No, immoral behavior by devoutly religious people doesn't surprise me at all anymore.

Yes, I had to read the tag more than once, too.

Great story. Beautifully written. I'm glad someone posted here or I would have missed it. I'll definitely seek out stories by Tom Friend from now on.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Templeton calling it bush league is great. I guest the one-fingered salute to the St. Louis fans was ok.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nice story but again not a lot different from what Ira Berkow wrote in 1994. Pretty much the same anecdotes.

Either way a very sad story. I've been trying to find but I remember reading another story that tied into Show's love for Car Mia and how he would sing the Jay and The Americans song of the same name.

Story ended with the haunting line from song "till the end of time"

Cara Mia why must we say goodbye?
    Each time we part my heart wants to die
    Darling hear my prayer
    Cara Mia fair
    I'll be your love till the end of time
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia why must we say goodbye?
    Darling hear my prayer
    Cara Mia fair
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Oh oh oh oh oh
    Oh oh oh oh oh
    Darling hear my prayer
    Cara Mia fair
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine
    Cara Mia mine

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Good story, but much longer than it needed to be.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Between reading a lot of 9/11 retrospective stuff and that story, it has been a particularly good day for reading. As someone who loves baseball and guitar, it was a particularly fascinating read.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he was of sound or rational mind but c'mon, it's not like this guy blew a World Series or playoff series for the Padres. He gave up one of 4,192 hits that one guy got to that point. Big effin' deal.

The story went way beyond that and showed so many demons that Show was fighting. But I never bought the foreshadowing, that ominous stuff about heading into Cincinnati with one of three starters lined up for this great ignominy of giving up Rose's next base hit. Could any competitor of major league caliber really dread something like that? You'd think he was getting sentenced to being Ralph Branca or something, and knew it in advance.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

So is stopping a game for 20 minutes for a record ceremony. The Padres should have told the umpires, "if this ceremony takes more than 60 seconds, we're gonna go sit in the clubhouse."

12. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

The ceremony deal is kind of like when Rose's 44-game streak ended against Atlanta. Rose said following the game (in which he struck out to end): "I don't know why they pitched me like that. They should have given me something I could hit." Jerk.

Draft saved Draft deleted