1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A global World Series by 2012?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You wouldn't have to do that. Scheduling one day-night doubleheader a month would shorten the season by a week. You still get 81 gates that way.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

will the Yomiuri Giants have to pay their luxury tax to the Royals and Pirates in yen or dollars.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And shortening the amount of time between playoff/WS games would help too.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They would have to figure out a way to schedule the games in Japan at a time that American audiences would want to watch.

I thought it was cool to wake up in the morning and watch the Yankees play in Japan a few years back, but it's not something I'd want to do three or four times. And I'm not sure the rest of the country would want to wake up at 3 or 4 a.m. to watch it, either.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

that was cool, but then it took me a month to get adjusted to watching 7:05 games

-- Mike Mussina

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Nope. You play with the team you've got. If said free agent wants to play for the real world championship, he stays with his team.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If this is anything more than an exhibition, I'm trying to think of any bigger blunder by a league in sports history. Why on earth would you cheapen the World Series that way?

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Well the one they have now is called the World Series and is all American teams and the Blue Jays.

9. House

House Member

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/index.jsp

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think there would be more interest in this in Japan than the U.S. Outside of areas with large Japanese populations, does anyone really care who wins the pennant over there, or how they would fare against a U.S. team?

Can you say "blatant cash grab?" I knew you could.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No es el mismo. Estamos hablando de los campeones del béisbol de América del Norte en una serie contra los campeones del béisbol japonés.

¡Tráeme una cerveza, novato!

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

How does it cheapen the World Series to include the world?

Draft saved Draft deleted