1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A global World Series by 2012?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 7, 2010.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

One of Japan's all-sports newspapers reports this morning that the commissioner of Japanese baseball says he and Selig agrees the MLB and Japan champions should play each other and that Selig wants to get this done by the time he retires.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4803999

Oh, really?

2. I'm sure the union will love that idea.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I love that it's a proposed tournament between two countries and they call it a "Global World Series".

4. ripple

ripple Member

Surely... Surely they wouldn't call it "Global World Series."

Other than that, I like it, as long as it's a preseason thing instead of being played in November.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Who cares?!! The world's gonna end by then, anyway.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They just need to get it in by December.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The union may have concerns to address, like it would in any new venture. But the MLBPA has always been pro-growth, and has pushed for increased international play for more than 20 years. It means more revenue and more opportunity.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think this will ever happen.

The playoffs already add another month to the season for the WS champ. No team owner is going to want their pitchers throwing any more innings at that point. And it would be a letdown for the players.

It would be fun to see, but as they've already proved by scheduling the WBC in March, there's no good way to schedule this kind of thing at a time when both teams are at full strength.

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

This would be fine by me. I've always thought it was somewhat arrogant for MLB to call it the "World Series" when it's really just basically the "American Series."

Do away with the All-Star Game and have a three-game series in that slot. Add another day or two on either end for travel, and it doesn't really affect the calendar that much.

10. Crash

Crash Active Member

So go back to 154 games, and a potential seven-game "World" Series with Japan is a wash.

Shortening the schedule probably won't happen, and neither will ditching the mid-season all-star break, even though both are good ideas. The All-Star Game is a waste of time.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Impossible. The World Series champion is a different team the next year, what happens if the ace of the staff leaves as a free agent...do you ask him to play for his former team?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think this will happen right around the time that London and Mexico City get NFL teams, which means NEVER.

Baseball season is way too fucking long as is.

Draft saved Draft deleted