1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A gambling thought experiment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 7, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And if there isn't already smart money on that game, if the line moves into the "improper" realm, the smart money is going to go on that game ... and move the line.

EDITED TO ADD ...

I remembered a piece written by a former professor. The piece is "The Economics of Wagering Markets" (Journal of Economic Literature, 1998). This quote from that paper stands out:

"[Profit opportunities] can be substantial when the number of informed agents is small. Nevertheless, it does not take many informed agents to [drive these opportunities to zero]."

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why are you guys convinced that the market on these games is efficient? It's exploitable in DraftKings and FanDuel. Why wouldn't it be exploitable on EMU-Ball State?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Speaking generally -- for an individual without A LOT of resources. ... It is nearly impossible to compete successfully in any kind of large (and liquid) market on fundamental research (or information). It's possible. There is someone out there who does it. But for every one person who is successful, there are a gazillion losing their money. And even the one in a gazillion person doing it, usually has inside information that isn't publicly available. It's why 95 percent of traders who try to trade some of the markets I am active in lose money and never come back. It's why when I started doing it, I learned pretty quickly that I COULD NOT compete successfully on research and information, and that I needed another way -- if there actually was another way to statistically shift the odds and make money at it (a whole other discussion, but one I am really passionate about).

I've looked at sports gambling for the same reasons it entices everyone -- you think it is ripe for exploitation. If you know that a point spread is not reflecting the difference between the two teams, you should be able to take what is only a 47.62 percent chance of breaking even on the bet (with standard juice: -110) and subtly shift your odds to greater than 50 percent. And if you can do that consistently, over time, you can expect to probably make money.

The problem is knowing that the point spread doesn't reflect the true difference between the teams. "I watch Team A a lot," isn't really much of an edge given how much money is coming into the game from a lot of different places.

4. The Big Ragu

Any market -- one that is large and liquid included -- is exploitable by someone. I just know that it is very unlikely that any given person who thinks he knows something more than the mass of other people, really does. Way more people have lost money thinking than that have made money.

5. doctorquant

You say it's exploitable in those fora ... is it being exploited by the same people over time?

6. Dick Whitman

OK.

Stop thinking about me here.

That's getting in your way.

"There's no way that Dick Whitman, who I interact with on SJ.com, can exploit a gambling market."

Can a person who you believe is really smart theoretically do this?

7. Dick Whitman

I think so. I'd have to confirm. But some of these guys have made hundreds of thousands of dollars. That's not just luck over the course of a season. It's like the poker boom - lots of marks right now.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So the question becomes, is the smarter money on the game and is there enough of it to make it a "good line" that you can't realistically beat with by being well informed? We often talk about the betting public being stupid, which is why the majority of bettors tend to lose over the long haul. So if the line is determined to entice action on both sides by a majority of bettors, whom we have dubbed as stupid, is there an inefficiency there that can be exploited? I think the answer is unequivocally yes. The hard part, though, is exploiting it well enough to reach that 65 percent threshold where you can make decent winnings.

9. The Big Ragu

I wasn't thinking about you at all. I was talking about ANYONE who thinks that way.

If I find out that someone is managing to consistently game a market that is very liquid and that trades freely, I know it most likely isn't a matter of their "smarts" -- at least the way I think you mean smarts.

When I find out that someone is consistently doing that, I know that one of three things is likely: 1) They were lucky. OR 2) The person isn't operating on their smarts (fundamental research). They are using another method. Often it is way more mechanical than people here would believe. OR 2) The person's smarts amounts to a source of inside information that none of us is getting our hands on easily.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  10. The Big Ragu

Right. And that's back to what I am saying. It's possible. There are large research institutions on Wall Street, for example, hiring teams of MIT grads who do analysis into the wee hours of the night. And some of them make money just because they know more than the rest of us. The point is, I am VERY cognizant of the fact that as an individual yokel -- one with lots of smarts, BTW! :) -- that that is what I am trying to compete against if I think I actually know something. It's the same when it comes to sports betting. It's the same when it comes to ANYTHING where there is money to potentially be had.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. doctorquant

One thing that's not being considered is the issue of gambler's ruin: Even IF you have better information than everyone, your information's not a slam dunk, meaning you're pretty vulnerable to short runs of bad luck. You may run out of money before your luck evens out.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True. Just because you figure the line should be 8 instead of 12, doesn't mean that the ball is going to bounce your way.

Draft saved Draft deleted