1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A.G. Sulzberger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Does he think he hit a triple?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Absolutely. Kind of like a Don Graham situation with the WaPo in the 1970s.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Or Otis Chandler at the LA Times.

4. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Not a fan of NYT, but they did make him do his homework first.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I agree with Dan but like Joe said, he was born on third base.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I personally would prefer the publisher of the future to be working in the business side, not news. That's where the problems are, and that's what he needs to know most. His father runs a fine newspaper, and is about the worst CEO imaginable.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I personally would prefer the publisher of the future to be determined by merit, from experience on both the business and editorial sides. Rather than by DNA and family trees.

I know, call me naive, unrealistic and disgruntled over not having parents or grandparents who amounted to a hill of beans professionally, in a dynasty sense (damn you, Grampa, though you did take me to the circus). :-*

But you really, really, really hamstring yourself with a pool of job candidates if you have nepotism as the first cut.

8. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Joe,

This is likely the first time I have ever disagreed with you, but FWIW, I thought it was a well-written story defnitely above the intern level. Nothing to stand on top of the rooftops and gloat about, but reading for what it was without paying attention to the byline and/or the nepotism involved, I was okay with it.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Joe, once again you've got it right.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've read a lot of his stuff. I think he's pretty good -- even if I'd prefer to not like him.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you go to work for a family business, you've got to expect junior to come along and become your boss one day. And he's not going to be treated the same as everyone else along the way.

The one problem of course is that the Times is a publicly traded company, but the fact of the matter is that it's run like a family business.

I think it's god that he's working as a reporter. If the next generation only ever works on the business side, they'll never understand what you do or have a true passion for the business -- whatever the business is.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Guess there's a reason for two things I've heard through the years:

-- If you want to want really hard for a living, marry a rich girl.

-- You'll go only so far as an outsider in a family business.

FYI, Andy: Disagree away. Makes the world go 'round. Happens all the time, too, though I might get you confused with Mrs. Williams.

Draft saved Draft deleted