1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A fun thread: How do you keep your car's interior?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, May 9, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The inside of my car is fully equipped to handle all of the needs of a street bum. Desiccated newspapers, old potato chip bags, loose change.

The only thing its missing is ripple and meth.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I lived out of my last car and would shovel out on occasion.
    Since I got my new one, it's far cleaner.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

He forgot to mention the time it took to get the bodies out of the trunk. :eek: ;) Just kidding, Pringle. I think. I hope.
    More seriously, my car isn't that clean. The back seat isn't bad, since I take our foster daughter to school in the morning. The front passenger footwell area is a mess, though mainly it is various scrapers or things like that, not food trash. My wife got me one of those car organizers once and doesn't understand why I don't put things in there and put it on the passenger seat. It's because I have my computer bag and camera bag in that space, with the lunch pail on the floor. The trunk lock is very finicky, so I'd rather not have my computers and cameras trapped in there. There's a leak on the passenger side front door so I'd rather not have my bags on the wet floor (plus it's a small car, so they wouldn't fit there anyway). Child seat is behind my seat since it doesn't block the vision out the right rear (passenger side mirror fell off last June). Besides the right rear door sometimes doesn't open.
    Having a new car would be nice. A pipe dream at this point, but nice nonetheless. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

For cleaning I highly recommend Armor-All wipes to clean the dash, stereo area, middle compartment, cup holders, door panels, etc. Warning: Do not Armor-All the steering wheel, may cause accident.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I find it very liberating to have a car whose condition I couldn't care less about. Have this unidentified stain in the back seat right now, in fact -- I think it's ink from an exploded pen from a field trip a few weeks ago, but it's dried and isn't transferring to anybody's clothes so I don't care. If I can keep the house in reasonable shape and treat the car as a dumping pen for folders, notebooks and such, I'm good.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Pringle, I'm laughing that you started this thread, since crumbs of your handle's namesake are among the litter in my car ... :)

It's hard to judge if my car is dirtier now that I'm on the desk (but have 9 and 12-year-old, crumb-factory children) or if it was dirtier when I was an eat-on-my-way-to-assignments reporter. We'll call it a tie.

I also occasionally take dogs to the park in the back seat, so the dog hair can pile up quickly (although they help with the crumbs).

I'd say I vacuum and pick up the interior once or twice a month. I don't keep it spotless, but if I start to notice the mess, it annoys me.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

if you walked past my car and didn't look at the driver's seat, you wouldn't know what my interior was made of. I feel out of sorts in a meticulous car. Mine's probably 9 miles past the other side, but still...I'd rather it be lived in.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If I treated my car as a dumping ground, I dunno how I would handle it. Come to think of it, it would probably double its curb weight.

Can't do it not only because it's against my nature, but also because I don't want things tumbling, shifting or avalanching if I need to mash the gas pedal, brake or need to make other evasive maneuvers. Driving is difficult enough without bringing in other degrees of difficulty.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My previous car was immaculate. I like a clean car. I "inherited" my current ride from The Queen, who doesn't share the same traits, so it is taking some work. She was in it the other night and remarked that it looked much better. Still needs some work.

Can't stand a cluttered car.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same. Not a big fan of a messy car. I mean, I was fine with it when I was 18, I guess. Now, it's just not as difficult to take out whatever trash is in there at my next stop.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Same here. Granted, I don't have my car right now, but when I get back to driving again, I'll continue to keep it clean.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My car's interior desperately needs to be vacuumed, but aside from that, it's debris free. This thread is making me itchy to go get it washed and vacuumed.

Draft saved Draft deleted