1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A friend of mine was given six months to live

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Mar 25, 2009.

1. KG

KG Active Member

Go see your friend as often as possible. A friend of mine died about a year ago, and I regret not visiting him more in his final months/weeks. As for "not being him anymore," that's wrong. It's still him. He may not look or act the same, but he's still the same person on the inside, and while lots of visits from friends and family might wear him out a little physically, it will make him feel better to know how much everyone loves him.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Your Highness,

I've been through this more than I care to remember. You go. You go a lot. Every time you go, the next time is easier.

o-<

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Bring a laptop, find the Hal McRae tirade on You Tube and start the conversation that way. Just be there to talk, to laugh, to listen. Maybe you can bring a favorite food.

My dad was in the hospital for three months before he passed away. One of the happiest days he had was when I snuck in a bialy (a kind of flat bagel) so he could have a couple bites. (not related to his illness)

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you are going. And the suggestion above that you bring in a laptop so he can watch the McRae tirade on youtube is an excellent idea.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Go see him. You'll never forgive yourself if you don't. I know it's tough, but he'll never forget the sentiment.

Last night, I found out a good friend from high school was dead. He was one of my best friends during freshman year of high school, but was mentally ill as well. He was found naked in the woods and had been there for at least two months. Hadn't talked to him since graduting high school in '06. Wish I had gone to see him at his support center.......

Draft saved Draft deleted