1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A freelancer's question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NYGUY, Nov 22, 2006.

1. NYGUY

NYGUY Guest

I wrote a story for a small-market paper that ran today. The small-market paper is owned by a big-market paper in the same city. After Google Newsing my name for a story I wrote, I found that the big market paper picked up my story.

Can I say that I wrote for the big market paper or should I say I wrote for small market paper/big market paper and explain what happened in subsequent interviews?

Thanking you kindly for your assistance in this matter,

NYGUY

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you got a byline, you can say your byline has appeared in the big paper. If not, you can say your work has appeared in (whatever). You have a clip to back it up?

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

just frame it accurately. you didn't write for Big Times, but your work has appeared in Big Times.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

Bingo. Since when did honesty become something to be ashamed of?

6. When you got the assignment, did the small-time paper tell you that you were filing for both papers? If not, you legitimately should ask the big-time paper for payment. Or at the least, ask if you can free-lance for them in the future. It's likely that the big-time paper pays better. (Gee, you don't think the big-time paper picked up the story to avoid paying a stringer fee? Nah.)

Draft saved Draft deleted