1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A freelance resource

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by GBNF, Oct 6, 2008.

1. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

I'll post these as I compile them, but I have Wisconsin readily accessible, so here goes ...

Wisconsin State Journal (Madison, Wis.)
    The Capital Times (Madison, Wis.)
    Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
    Appleton Post-Crescent
    Janesville Gazette
    Green Bay Press-Gazette
    Green Bay News-Chronicle
    Racine Journal Times
    Kenosha News
    Wausau Daily Herald
    Oshkosh Northwestern
    Eau Claire Leader Telegram
    La Crosse Tribune
    Dubuque Telegraph-Herald (Dubuque, Iowa)

The State Journal, Cap Times and Journal Sentinel will travel with both football and men's basketball and I believe someone is for the Janesville Gazette this year, too.

2. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Here's Minnesota ...

Minneapolis Star Tribune
    St. Paul Pioneer Press
    Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder
    Duluth Herald & News Tribune
    Fargo Forum
    Minnesota Sun Newspapers
    Rochester Post Bulletin
    St. Cloud Times
    Sun Post Newspapers

If anyone knows which of these papers would need a stringer on the road for men's basketball, women's basketball or men's hockey, that would helpful.

3. Glen Rosales

Glen Rosales Member

This has the potential to be a great resource. Unfortunately my home paper, Albuquerque Journal, rarely takes freelance work from outside writers, but it will occasionally take a nice feature. If you need help pitching such, PM me.

However, I know the Sac Bee usually wants road stories for its PCL team. I hit them up every time it visits Abq.

Women's college basketball is a good spot to look, as well, particularly when it comes to the NCAA Tournament. Everybody wants coverage of the ladies at tourney time, but nobody wants to pay to send a writer. I get on the horn with the all the local papers of the visiting teams as soon as the brackets are announced.

I'm looking for a home for travel/outdoors story-and-photo packages from New Mexico and/or the SW. Anybody have some leads in that area?

4. amastracco

amastracco New Member

Sac Bee doesn't usually cover the Warriors. The Kings dominate and they usually travel their beat writer but I've noticed in recent seasons they've skipped some east coast games. If it's the Kings they'd definitely be open to stringing but I know they don't have a huge stringer budget. They don't cover Cal much either, they focus more on Davis now that they're DI and Sac State. Davis Women's hoops and baseball might be a good bet for stringers since both teams are shaping up to be playoff worthy but are really the only competitive teams at Davis now that they're DI.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Great info guys, I'll try to pitch in some more, but things have been busy. Keep em coming, folks.

6. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Is anyone aware of papers that cover college hoops teams that play D.C. teams? I assume the papers wouldn't have AP copy.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

This reminds me, back when I was a senior in college, American U. and another DC area small school (Howard?) both played hoops at Ohio State and I went up there and covered the games for the Washington Post. I wrote five inches on each game for $200 a pop.

Greatest gig ever.

Ah, the old days.

8. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Any help with papers that cover Idaho State, Coppin State and University of Texas men's basketball would be greatly appreciated.

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

the Balto Sun does a little with Coppin, but not much....

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Idaho State Journal covers Idaho State.

11. Go State

Go State Member

Does anyone know of any -- or if there are any -- papers that cover Morgan State, Liberty or Southern for men's basketball?

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Did you look up information for any of those schools?

Draft saved Draft deleted