1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A freelance resource

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by GBNF, Oct 6, 2008.

1. neilbisman

neilbisman New Member

I'm all for this idea. Let me know if there is any way I can help.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Does anyone know which Chicagoland papers do not travel with the Blackhawks?

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I do this kind of research all the time. I jump on the websites of the papers in those prospective areas and sift through what they cover and how they cover it. If all I see are AP stories, then I know that they don't use stringers much if at all.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'll chime in with my home area...

SF Bay Area:

Papers: SF Chronicle, SJ Mercury News/Oakland Tribune/Contra Costa Times (Bay Area News Group, ie BANG)

Giants: Both papers travel.
    A's: Both papers travel.
    49ers: Both travel.
    Raiders: Both travel.
    Warriors: Both travel, but possibly may take off an East Coast trip. Would definitely use a stringer if they did.
    Sharks: Chron blows them off entirely. BANG travels and would definitely use a stringer if they blew off an East coast game. Contact Merc.
    Cal: Both travel, mostly. They may use stringers for the occasional east-coast game. Cal hoops early in season is a good opportunity for Chron, whose beat guy may still be doing football.)
    Stanford: Same as Cal. Also, Stanford women's hoop is a big deal. Stringer opportunties there.

Also, Sac Bee is hard to figure. They cover some stuff at home, but only travel with the 49ers and Raiders. They would be a good place to hit up for stringing for anything else major (warriors in the playoffs, cal bowl game, etc.)

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

That is so awesome Bobcat, thanks for the help on this!

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

PLEASE! do! Thanks, bud.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Dan, in between waiting for your emails, I do it as well. And so often, I think, how much better would it be if there some resource for this.

Would love your help on this!

8. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Absolutely, my friend...and thank you for taking the initiative on this....we ARE in this together...

9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Always remember this piece of advice: the smaller the event, the bigger chance of making money.

Oklahoma-Texas is in town this week and I'll be stringing away at Lubbock Christian- Carrolton Christian and making more than I'll see covering the FBS.

10. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Don't know if they still do, but Contra Costa used to hire stringers for away St. Mary's football games, at least when they traveled to the East Coast.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

St. Mary's doesn't have a football team anymore. I'm pretty sure they haven't had one for at least five or six years.

They would use a stringer for men's hoops tho.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This probably is useless now, but the Sun-Times needed stringers for DePaul a few years back.

Don't know about the arrangements, don't know about the pay - it wasn't me taking the assignment, but someone else. But he had a Sun-Times/DePaul gig when the Blue Demons were in town.

Draft saved Draft deleted