1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A freed slave's letter to his former master

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 1, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is a fascinating read. This freed slave shows that he had mastered the art of snark when he responded to a request from his former master to come back and work for him again:

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/01/to-my-old-master.html

The sign-off line was great:

This letter actually appeared in the New York Daily Tribune on Aug. 22, 1865.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seems like he disclosed a lot of that stuff without telling the master he was going to be writing about it. He should apologize.

[/poynter]

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I would have only needed one guess to get that this ran in Horace Greeley's newspaper.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Jourdon was referring to himself in the third-person even in the 1800s, I see.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That letter was great, especially in the beginning when the ex-slave says that he's surprised the Union army didn't lynch the master for killing a Union soldier.

It reminds me of when, early in the war, the Union marched into northern Virginia and some slaves escaped and made it to their lines. Southerners demanded the slaves be returned, but Gen. Ben Butler refused. Like, um, hello? You rebel against the country, and then you want the country to respect your new laws?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Black people were better off when they were in slavery.

/Michele Bachmann

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think the point was that they were demanding the slaves be returned under what was at the time federal law, as per the Dred Scott decision of a few years earlier.

But your point stands, if they're rebelling, then they shouldn't be able to seek return of their property under laws that should no longer apply.

This seems to be one more classic example proving that, despite what the Confederate apologists insist, the Civil War was found over slavery, ahead of any other issue.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember studying that in college, and I found it pretty ridiculous how the Virginians wanted Federal law applied to them, even though they seceded.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Too bad Lincoln didn't have the atomic bomb.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Why, so he could nuke all the slaves? Racist.

12. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I clicked on this thread thinking it was from a present-day journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted