1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A fine biographical piece on Mark Kram by Mark Kram

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, Aug 9, 2007.

1. In Exile

In Exile Member

jgmacg - you should also post this somewhere on the writer's thread. Eight hours after reading this for the first time, I'm still haunted by it.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'll copy it up to the Professional Readings thread, as well.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr macg,

Longshot: Any recovering that Cool Papa Bell piece? Any other Kram Sr stuff by linkage or whatever? God, Ghosts of Manila cut to the bone. Talk about suffering for your art (or your father's art) ...

YHS, etc

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

This is perhaps a dumb question, but one whose answer I do not know: The sports editor of the Baltimore Son, Bob Maisel - father of Ivan?

5. Wow...

"And he remembered some advice he had once gotten from Laguerre, who had gotten it from Raymond Chandler years before over drinks in London: “Always try to leave three things on each page that matter to you as a writer. A word, a phrase, a line of dialogue, an observation of character. By the end of a story, these tracks of craft will lead to quality.” I remember thinking what an education our conversations had become."

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

7. good piece

looking forward to Kram's next piece, in the fall of 2009

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'd rather write one great story a year than 1,000 mediocre ones.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ditto.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Actually, if they're the right 1,000 words, you're okay to take a bit more than 12 months.

Gold: MK2's piece. Up the chute: JJ Sullivan's meditation on sportswriter-father, Blood Horses.

YHS, etc

11. oldhack

oldhack Member

No

12. oldhack

oldhack Member

Some stuff here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1998/holyfield/garden/5ali_frazier.html

Draft saved Draft deleted