1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A few observations, since I can't find any other place to say these things

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DavidPoole, Nov 6, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm under no illusions that Obama's election means everything is going to be rosy, or that there won't be mistakes, but I'll be first in line to vote against him if he turns out to be fraud, if it turns out his Administration is corrupt or fails to live up to its promises.
    I've been burned buying in to too many politicians. I began the campaign supporting Edwards. And was embarrassed that Clinton lied to the American people (one of the reasons I couldn't back Hillary). I'm just looking forward to the possibility of having a President who tells it like it is. Good or bad.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Here's what makes me upset:

I'm honest-to-god fine with an Obama presidency. I debated voting for the man myself. I like him on a personal level, I like what I've seen of Michelle and the girls. He seems as grounded as anyone at that level.

Yet, on this board, I almost become the person harping against it merely because I'm so infuriated by the posters that in trying to reply to them, I come off anti-Obama. Which I am not.

So yeah. It's a conflict inside.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have little faith in government. I don't easily get excited......................over political candidates. I've found the last couple days inspiring b/c the majority decided enough was enough and decided to invest in an exciting unknown who can actually utter a complete sentence.

Even with my postings the last few days, I don't expect miracles out of Obama, nor do I expect to sit here in four or eight years going "Well, that went perfectly." All I know is after the last guy, it's nice to feel as if someone competent will be calling the shots.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Dan, I'm the same way. I started off supporting Edwards. I would have liked to support Hillary but her war vote when she lived in a safe state and the fact she never would apologize for it and never really got that that's what angered people meant I could never vote for her. Because our primary in Michigan was completely f=d up and my choices were Hillary, Uncommitted and Kucinich, I voted Kucinich. But as I began to educate myself and see what Obama was all about and see the way he ran his campaign, I was impressed. I was excited to vote for him because he seems smart, thoughtful and competent, three things that have been sorely missing the last eight years. To answer Pallister, sure there are going to be problems and things that happen but I'm just confident that the grownups are back and it's not just some secret cabal of people with an agenda that they'll make sure we never know about who are running the country.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's november and the man hasn't spent a single day in the oval office, yet you deal gloom as though it's a wild card.

do you not listen to how childish you sound?

6. I could be wrong, I usually am, but it seems that some on the right are genuinely upset that there is so much optimism about Obama. Maybe it's because the GOP is so fragmented, and they don't see anyone on their side capable of instilling these feelings from the masses.

7. imjustagirl

Are you talking some on the right, or some on the right who post on this board? Because that will change my answer.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who cares? name someone from the right who fills your soul with optimism.

9. some on the right. I've seen and heard the same comments elsewhere.

10. imjustagirl

I haven't seen anyone upset at the optimism. I've seen people displeased with the "cult of personality" as it were where Obama became more of a celebrity than a candidate in some ways. I've seen people upset at the incessant trashing of the opponent INSTEAD of focusing on the victory.

I think what's being said on here, which is all I can go by, is the concern that pallister voiced perhaps more harshly than some of you wanted to see. I think all the talk now is of a messianic nature, almost, and it's a concern as to whether he'll need to accomplish anything or if merely breaking the barrier will be good enough.

I think this election was the perfect storm. There was MASS disapproval of the current administration, a vibrant young minority candidate with charisma to spare, and a young electorate dying to be heard for the first time. It was stunning to watch, it really was. The concern, at least from what I've seen from some on the right, is if that charisma and a swept-away youth will be enough to get him a second term regardless of his accomplishments in his first four years.

It's not optimism we're afraid of. Far from it. I'm a Reagan girl; never hid that. I see a lot of Reagan in Obama's speeches, in the way he projects a very "stick with me, we are AWESOME" vibe. I think it's a fear of if that's all it is.

Time will tell.

11. Thanks, IJAG. I get what you're saying.

I really don't believe that just getting elected will carry him very far. Expectations are high, and the disappointment will be great he doesn't achieve anything.

12. imjustagirl

Which is how I think it will shake out as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted