1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A few observations, since I can't find any other place to say these things

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DavidPoole, Nov 6, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I know. Was just clarifying. We have a president right now. We'll have a different one in just over two months.

But right now, he is not the president.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Serious question: Are you Kool-Aid drinkers ever gonna hold Obama accountable for actually being the president, or is getting elected enough? You make it sound like nothing bad is ever gonna happen, that the country will never face any difficulties domestically or internationally. Do you really believe all our problems are solved, or do you just not listen to how childish you sound?

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Wha?

This just kinda came out of left field...

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No way I can speak for everyone - it's debatable whether or not I can speak for myself - but it's called optimism, Pall. The current administration hasn't given us anything worth cheering. They've tried more than the blue sorts want to admit, but in the eyes of many, they've largely failed.

Obama's triumph in the election has given many hope they haven't held close to them in a long, long time. Is that fair? Perhaps not. But it is what it is.

5. Well, as IJAG pointed out, he's not the president yet.

So, it's kinda hard to criticize his presidency so far.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But it's also hard to praise it as much as most people on here seem to be. People are already planning the Dems holding the office for the next 16 years.

Seems a bit strong after 51 hours.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Agreed. We don't have to apologize for our optimism. And after the last eight years, it's pretty damned easy to be optimistic...

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I didn't say criticize, foaf. If he does a good job, great; he then deserves credit. But from many of these posts, I get the sense that no matter what Obama does, or even if he never accomplishes anything, many of his supporters will give him a pass simply because getting elected has suddenly, in their minds, solved everything. And, again, as I've posted multiple times in the past few days, any leader needs to be held accountable, especially by the people who put him/her in office.

There's a difference between optimism and utopian idealism.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

ALLEGEDLY

10. pallister

pallister Guest

11. I've never said that. And I never would. If this country is still in the tank in four years, he'll get voted out just like the GOP.

And Pall, I'm saying maybe we should hold off before saying the "Kool-Aid drinkers" will blindly support Obama no matter what happens.

12. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I think those of us who voted for him are just expecting to be better off than we have been the last several years. If that's not the case, I think most of us will be disappointed and will hold him accountable. But for now, I don't think ny of us should apologize for our optimism. That's why many of us voted for him. And I don't think because we disapprove of our current president we hate our country. If that's the case, that's 67 or so percent of us.

Draft saved Draft deleted