1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Drinking Life - Pete Hamill

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CHETtheJET, Mar 18, 2007.

1. I've spent a lot of time with Hamill -- and with his brothers, Denis and John -- and am better as a writer and a person for it.

2. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

hamill's 'snow in august' - good novel. all you need to know about The Gollem.

3. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Loved Snow in August, something you and your kids can read together.

4. Let's not forget Why Sinatra Matters.

I second gingerbread's suggestion that we try to get him involved in some sort of town meeting. News Is A Verb is a great read on the state of newspapers. I could feel my blood pressure rising while I was reading it.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I am with Col Beauregard on this one -- not just one of the great alcohol-drenched memoirs, but one of the best in any genre in the last twenty years. Certainly one with the most heart.

I always thought that his all-purpose column (brief tho' it was) in Esquire, what, 10 or 15 years back (sic transit etc) was a sunshine period for the mag and some of his best work.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted