1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A downloaded music case goes to court UPDATE

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Oct 2, 2007.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

You had to join the lawsuit on this web site which hardly anyone knew about, Pastor.

I, in fact, did receive a check from that settlement. It was less than $20, but it was better than nothing.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Next time I steal six shirts from Macy's I'll just tell them that I wouldn't have purchased any more than three, anyway, and if like the shirts I might come back and actually buy some. That should get me off.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Except, of course, Macy's is out six shirts, and in the downloading case there is no actual loss for the recording company.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

intellectual property
    –noun
    Law. property that results from original creative thought, as patents, copyright material, and trademarks.

There is an actual loss to the owner of the rights. Intellectual property, by definition, has ownership and value. When intellectual property is stolen (and distributed) it becomes devalued because of the increase in supply vs. demand.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Now she owes nearly $2m:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tec_music_downloading

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

And now we are at $1.5 million. Could have been a little less:

A federal jury on Wednesday ordered Thomas-Rasset to pay $62,500 for each of 24 songs she illegally downloaded through an online file-sharing program. That adds up to $1.5 million.

The verdict followed the third trial in three years for Thomas-Rasset and proved especially expensive. A few months ago, the Recording Industry of America (RIAA) offered to settle with the mother of four for $25,000, to be paid to a music charity. She refused.

http://www.startribune.com/local/106654868.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUac8HEaDiaMDCinchO7DUs

Draft saved Draft deleted