1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A different Vegas question...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PCLoadLetter, May 5, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Also . . . Circus' steakhouse is -- incongruiously enough -- stupendous.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And it's close to Slots-A-Fun.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Circus Circus is NOT where I'd take young kids. Rooms are bad, "circus" areas are inhabited by gang-type teens. Stay away.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That and Hugo's Cellar in the Four Queens are the two best old school steakhouses in Vegas.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'll second the Hugo's Cellar recommendation. And you can always tell when a couple's been there because the woman is carrying a rose wrapped in foil.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Even though you're staying on the Strip, PC, I'd also recommend the downtown Fremont Street Experience light show for the family. There's usually street performers too. And walk by the pool at the Golden Nugget, which has a shark tank and a slide going through it. Very cool.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Let me echo everyone's warnings about Circus Circus. Do. Not. Stay. There.

Since my wife and I have had good memories about the place from previous stays, we spent two nights there that bookended a trip to Zion and Bryce National Parks two years ago.

"Horrific" would be a kind description: long check-in lines, shoddy, we-don't-give-a-crap service, a general run-down atmosphere and the aforementioned scary teenager contingent, although, we took our two kids to the Adventuredome and they had a good time.

Of course, my son and I did nothing but Lazer Tag and my wife and daughter went on some of the rides.

The Flamingo isn't that bad pool- and locale-wise. The rooms were serviceable.

Haven't stayed at the TI or NYNY, so can't speak about those. But the other selections work rather well.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There is one saving grace to Circus' check-in clusterf**k: there is a number you can call to pre-checkin, by phone, provided you have a confirmed reservation, and you call at least one hour before your physical arrival on premises. It's worked for me.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Funny, Birdscribe - we'll be staying in Vegas after spending the night at a Bryce Canyon cabin and driving through Zion National Park. Haven't seen Bryce Canyon in person yet, but Zion is pretty incredible.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My second trip to Vegas is fast approaching.
    Staying at the Rio for the WSOP main event.
    Looking forward to it.
    I don't like the move to stop the main event at the end and hold off the final table until November, but the odds of me making the final table are, as Bruce Smith would say, 'astrological.'
    Should be a lot of fun.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

With the hoodos, Bryce is amazing. We stayed in Hurricane (at the Days Inn there) and drove into Zion a couple of days.

One day, we made the 3 1/2-hour trek to Bryce, a drive I could do without. Incredible stuff, even if the lodge isn't.

You'll enjoy it, PC.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

TI an Monte Carlo both would be good.

Personally, I can think of a million different places with a hotel and a pool I'd rather take the kids if I wasn't gonna gamble, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted