1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A different resume question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Sundance Kid, Aug 19, 2007.

1. I'm young, dumb and new, so bear with me. I was wondering if anyone thought covering Division I football, not as a beat but on occasion, deserved breakout mention on a resume. What I mean is, suppose I covered, say, UCLA's media day, two or three home games and got stories from the in-season conference calls, is that worth a separate mention on a resume of mostly high school stuff?

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I would think it deserves some specific mention. It shows you have some (albeit limited) experience dealing with bigger events, so you won't be a deer in the headlights the first time your new editor sends you to cover State university. But keep the description accurate. If you've covered a couple games and media day, don't word it so it sounds like you attended every practice.

if you're bulleting stuff on your resume, you could give it its own bullet

3. Yeah, the bulleting is what I meant. Thanks.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

You can mention you rode a-long side Butch Cassidy. Your pen isn't as fast as your gun, but your wit is!

5. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Well played, Mayfly.

6. well played?

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Don't forget to include some college-related writing in your clips accompanying the resume.

Draft saved Draft deleted