1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A different blog issue

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sprtswrtr10, Jan 18, 2007.

1. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

Hey guys, sports editor/columnist at Big 12 daily here.

Nobody's come to us about blogs yet. Thank goodness.
    And the reason I say that is, when they do, they will not come in with any more money.
    Frankly, it's the kind of thing I can do in my sleep and, I think, still make it interesting, but I'm just opposed to my bosses saying "do this" as though we're not already working on our days off, covering more than any other sports editor and crew at this paper ever have, etc., etc., etc.

By the same token, I've wondered about the possibility of starting my own blog, maybe on my own website.
    I'm not a big sports personality in my area (there's a statewide paper about 25 miles away) but I don't think I'm completely off the radar. I don't know if I could make any money doing it myself, but I'd kind of like to be able to say, — should my bosses come to me and ask me to blog — that I'm already doing one on my own time and it's doing quite well.

I don't know. Maybe it's pie in the sky as far any financial gain is concerned.

At the same time, I'd be interested in raising my profile (it might pay off in other things: freelance, radio?) and maybe just seeing what my opportunities in that direction might be.

Any suggestions?
    Is it doable.
    Is it a big hassle.
    How does one do it.
    Really, any information would be welcome.

Thanks,
    sprtswrtr10

2. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

There isn't a whole lot of money in blogging ... unless you hook up with a group, such as Gawker Media. That way, advertisers can get their ads on about 10 blogs ... not just one.

As much fun as I'm having do this, you'd laugh if I told you how much money I've made in the 8 or so months since I've been doing it full time. So don't ask.

It can, however, lead to other writing opportunities ...

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

sprtswrtr10 will use a name on his blog - a real name. so that when he writes something he will personally stand accountable for what he writes. the way journalists do it.

how the hell can you give him advice? geez. can you be any more pretentious?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

sprts,

I would hazard a guess that your employers would not take too kindly to your blogging for (meager) profit when you are loathe to blog for free for them unless they can piggyback to the link.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The man has a good point. if his blog is considered to be of value to the paper (why else would the paper ask for it?), then that additional value should be reflected in his compensation. If the company wants him to bring his blog over to the newspaper site, they should negotiate with him. The same holds true with folks who are asked to go on camera. Why should someone provide additional value without additional compensation?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because the paper will make some noise about adjusting schedules or some such.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, there's that of course. Maybe some split days off and some bad assignments, too.

8. The Big Lead has one of the best sports blogs going and he got it up and going in just a few months.

sprtswrtr10 asked about a blog on the side as a potential revenue source and The Big Lead gave him the lowdown on realistic expectations.

You on the other hand chimed in just to call The Big Lead "pretentious". I ask you - who was of more help to sprtswrtr10? You or The Big Lead?

For my $.02 - blogging is either something you want to do or you don't. If you feel the desire to put extra thoughts and observations into blog form (thoughts and observations that otherwise wouldn't get into your paper) - then do it. If you don't feel that desire and blogging is a chore that you think you have to do - don't blog.

Blogging can help you get pretty good main jobs (see Aaron Gleeman) or pretty good side work (see Eric McErlain). But for every Aaron Gleeman.com and OffWingOpinion there are hundreds of blogs that died on the vine because the author didn't keep up the volume and quality of work on the blog to build up a readership.

Blogging can lead to bigger and better things. Just ask Mike Reiss who went from having a blog on the Patriots to being who many consider the top beat writer on the Patriots in all of New England. At the very least - if you start a blog and your boss wants to incorporate that into the papers offerings - then that should help with you job security situation and spread your name even more. But if you don't want to blog for fun - don't blog to begin with.

9. BG

BG Member

There's a little money to be made. I've been blogging for about 3.5 years, and for the first year and a half, there was no income at all. But last year I made about $8500 via sidebar text ads and sponsorship from a blogging network backed by AT&T. Not a ton of dough after taxes, but a nice little addition to the vacation fund, especially since it's something that I enjoy doing.

Anyway, good luck.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, ace, you beat me too it.

At the very least, you'd better have permission. There has been discipline and firings based on the outside blog activities of people working at newspapers.

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

mike reiss wasn't anonymous. that's my advice - don't be anonymous. it's creepy, furtive, and sophomoric.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's pretty ironic, "henry"

Draft saved Draft deleted