1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A dead girl or a live boy...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Edwin Edwards, the famous (and famously corrupt) former governor of Louisiana, got out of prison today. He's 83. He was also, apparently, a great quote, famously saying before a 1983 election "The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy"

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/01/free_at_last.php?ref=fpblg

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

One of the great political quotes of all time.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

If his life were a movie, uncensored, it would be a runaway hit. The stories. Man, oh, man, the stories.

4. He also inspired one of the great campaign slogans when he ran for his fourth term as governor against ex-Klansman David Duke.

"Vote for the crook. It's important." :D

5. Point of Order

That could be arranged. I'd watch it.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Does this mean Eddie DeBartolo gets out of NFL jail?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

From his Wikipedia page, on David Duke ...

"The only thing we have in common is that we both have been wizards beneath the sheets."

Awesome.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If you are a political junkie, you have to read The Last Hayride and A Cross to Bear, about Edwards' races in 83 and 91. Just terrific books.

9. Point of Order

KPLC 7 News
    HOT TOPIC
    The News Mrs. Edwin Edwards

Former Governor Edwin Edwards is getting married for the third time. His soon-to-be bride is 51 years younger than Edwards. Trina Grimes Scott said she met Edwards after reading his book, and paying a visit to him at the prison in Oakdale. What do you think of the Governor's upcoming nuptials?

http://www.facebook.com/kplc7news?sk=wall

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Please God, please God, please God.

Give him back his Niners.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I was on my way to New Orleans to cover a Saints game about 10 years ago, and flipped over the WWL to catch the pre-game show. I caught the last five or so minutes of the previous show, which was straight news talk.

The guest was going on and on about all his gambling strategies, about how much money he'd won and lost betting during his life, etc.

At the end of the show, the host said "We'd like to thank former governor Edwin Edwards for being our guest today ..."

Draft saved Draft deleted