1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'A dark cloud lifts'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 30, 2012.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Yeah. My fault. Nowhere in the piece does the writer say or imply this.

Still, it's irritating to see The Times calling out the coverage of the "national news story" as forgetting the victim. Unless this is a thinly veiled, read-between-the-lines slap at Lynn Zinser, the reporter on the two previous Times stories linked to.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This leads to an overall larger question: On any story about a given topic, are there facts you are simply obligated to rehash? No matter what. It got me thinking when I read SI's cover piece on Adrian Peterson. No mention of his offseason arrest. Can you write a Ben Roethlisberger or Kobe takeout now without mention of their past? A Mile Leach piece and leave out his exit from Texas Tech? A Brisn Kelly story without, well, Declan Sullivan?

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes. Know your audience.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think you need an inventory of specific misery in every story about Declan Sullivan, but I certainly believe you need it in a story about the breadth and depth of his parents capacity to forgive.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Notre Dame whitewashed and the Sullivan family has moved on. Fail to find what is so special about the article. Then again,people here love the NY Times trends articles and think they represent national trends.
    The article says the team prayed after thr lift fell. I seem to remember the team continuing to practice. Though my memory may be bad.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

These Times feel good whitewash pieces are usually the domain of Karen Crouse.

Draft saved Draft deleted