1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'A dark cloud lifts'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If this isn't the best opening to a piece I've ever read, it's in the team photo:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/sports/ncaafootball/declan-sullivans-family-responds-to-death-by-not-pointing-fingers.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Great Sunday NYT piece by Greg Bishop on the Declan Sullivan tragedy at Notre Dame.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know. The piece came off as a little too soon for such a horrific death/feel-good-story combo. And I guess that whole leftwing journo-blogger complex held hands and cheered at Declan Sullivan's demise... until a family of blue-collar Notre Dame supporters stepped in with a blow for common sense.

3. 35in44

35in44 Member

Too soon? It's been over two years and if you read the entire piece you would see what the kid's parents thought of everything. The piece was tremendously well done. Have read a lot about this tragedy and this was probably the best story I have read on the topic.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Excellent find, Dick. Yes, it's cliche, but a negative is turning into a positive.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Excellent find?

It's a very good article, but it's not in some obscure publication. It's in the New York Times. And, it was highlighted on their website and app.

The Times sports section remains the best in the country. If you're not reading it daily, you're missing the best daily sportswriting in the business.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I might have missed/ but article mentions that the Sullivans did not sue but makes no mention of the possibility of a quiet settlement.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I saw where it was going and didn't want to like it, but it was really beautiful. The best I've seen on this sad sad story. God bless.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

No one was responsible. Everything is OK.

9. Boom_70

I don't get the blue collar designation. Sullivan's father is an engineer and his mother is a doctor.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A little surprised the piece doesn't mention the OSHA findings - and fines - or the unspecified donation Notre Dame made to the Sullivan Foundation.

11. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

As a remembrance of Declan, this is a fine piece. As a recap of the situation, it fell horribly short.

And I can't believe the family continues to drink the Golden Dome Kool-Aid.

12. Boom_70

I was kind of surprised that the article did not mention Knute Rockne, Touchdown Jesus ,or Rudy. Almost every story on ND does.

Draft saved Draft deleted