1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Dad's "Brag Moment": Watching Son's First Out of Park HR

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Every kid should get to experience this feeling once. And every dad, too.

I hit one when I was 12 and one when I was 15 (Babe Ruth league with actual 90-feet, 60'6'' dimensions, etc., etc.).

My dad had to work the night I hit the one as a 12-year-old, so I called him at work right after the game. I remember it was an opposite field home run that was about the highest ball I'd ever hit. Night game. My dad and I had spent hour after hour after hour at that field trying to learn the power stroke to get one out of there.

Absolutely one of THE defining moments of my childhood. Perhaps THE moment.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm 25 and I still get that look of shock when I take one to the fence in softball. A man my size has no business hitting a softball to the warning track where it doesn't belong.

And very cool story.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

a beautiful moment, a true lifetime memory to be treasured, ex. my dad, now 81, still talks about my top little league moments; i've experienced at least one of those with all three of my boys. nothing like iit for fathers and sons.

enjoy. and keep on bragging.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I never got one out of the park, but I did, on two occasions, reach the centre field fence on the fly. Two different fields, many years apart. Thought, hoped, prayed it was gone both times. Settled for an inside-the-parker on the first one, a double on the second one.

But my best ball memory was at age 11. It was the top of the top of the seventh inning and my team was down two runs. With two outs and two strikes, I hit a bases-loaded triple down the right field line. It was my first "hero" moment and it's still a favourite memory today.

My first moment like this as a dad was when my oldest son was five. It was his first year of organized hockey. He had gone the first few games without scoring and he was getting a bit antsy because his friends had all managed at least one goal. Before he went out on the ice that day, I gave him a couple of pointers, the most important of which was that he should spend as much time as possible in front of the other team's net. He scored four goals that day, his team won big and we both floated home. :)

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Have you called the paper to complain about coverage yet? They're cost your son a scholarship...

Seriously though, that's really cool.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

No, haven't called the paper. By the time he gets to high school age, I'll probably be assigned to cover high school baseball for print/online -- on top of anchoring the news for TV. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted