1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Dad's "Brag Moment": Watching Son's First Out of Park HR

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Oct 6, 2010.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

A couple months back, I asked - with true curiosity - on here about an 8-year-old's readiness to join a feeder baseball team.

After weeks of talks with my wife and our son, we agreed to "go for it", largely because of his attitude, his grades and his maturity level for that age. We (and he) wanted to see if he could hang with the top level in our city.

Tonight, after 3 weeks of games, he turned on one, Thome-style, opposite field to LCF, over the wall. Probably 160-170 feet, I guess, I dunno. Seeing his own "shock" over hitting it that far was something I'll never forget.

Each team was short one player so I volunteered to catch for both teams. After it cleared the fence, I'm even somewhat pleased with myself for stepping off the field so he (and his overjoyed and ready-to-pounce-on-him at home plate) teammates could soak it in.

Of course, between third and home, he realized it was too late to try and orchestrate the "Prince Fielder" as the bowling ball/Brewer teammates as the bowling pins celebration he prefers.

"Maybe next time," I suggested in the car before amending that, "just kidding."

I had $2.50 in my pocket so I drove him to Wendy's for a pair of First Home Run Frostys - chocolate for him, vanilla for his long-suffering little sister.

My son just went to sleep in his uniform because he doesn't "want to lose the feeling".

An evening I hope he never forgets and a day I hope all of us parents get to experience if we have little kids playing sports.

Alright.

Done bragging.

Promise.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

cool.....

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Awesome ex! I'm sure there will plenty more of these moments for you. Enjoy them!

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Very cool.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's good stuff. Wendy's was a nice touch. There are a few dads who would have been so stoked that they would have chosen the batting cage to perfect the muscle memory.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How much did you pay Peter King for the ball?

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That was quality.

I absolutely love the look of shock kids get when they do things like that. It's priceless.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

That's awesome!

One question, if he "turned on one" wouldn't he have pulled it down the right field line not went opposite field? Sorry, just the idiot editor in me.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Great story.
    have to agree with Red Smith though. when you do the writethru change that to drove Billy's two-seamer over the left-center field wall. turning on it implies pulling the ball.

also i am jealous that there is fall ball now for kids. hope you get to see many more hits.

10. That's awesome, brother. And the frosty addition was icing on the cake for a true dad/som moment. Well done to the both of you.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A cool moment that you and him will always remember. Congrats to him!

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yeah, my sportswriting brethren, the "turned on one" would NOT be ideal description for an opposite field HR.

What may have been most intriguing to me, looking back, was the look of confusion on the field. This was the league's first 'out of park' HR for the season. Confusion as someone had to run to get the ball. Confusion as his teammates started bouncing around. High humor.

No, didn't do a "muscle memory" exercise afterwards but this is one of the few "Dad knows of what he speaks" moments:
    - The glory of bat speed. My son has always been a good contact/line drive hitter. He wanted more power so we did some scientific experiments on bat speed and how far the ball goes. Now he swings with more speed but balanced with control.

I'm like Phil Dunphy in Modern Family. A smart-aleck who can't fix anything and can't build anything. For one stretch, at least, I have the trust of my son on something...before he needs cars, college and cash.

Draft saved Draft deleted