1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Cynical View of Iowa

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In terms of most, Ohio and Pennsy remain well up there.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Doubt it from looking at Council Bluffs.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems like there was not an issue 4 years ago when it was primarily a democrat event.

The eastern media seemed thrilled that Iowa selected Obama.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, maybe Virginia, maybe Florida.

I think Ohio would be a no-brainer as to where to start the process. I'd like to know the last time a candidate won the presidency without winning Ohio. Maybe 1960?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't mind that the first few states to be won are Iowa and New Hampshire. The big states get so much more emphasis from the candidates once they get nominated that they smaller states get ignored.

This way, the candidates have to go out and actually meet people, rather than just attend fundraisers and run commercials

6. Your information is based on what?

7. Honestly, I don't care where they start.. Small to medium states for a start are great.
    But in God Damn Dec. and Jan.? Uh No. That's what ticks me off about the whole thing.. The race to be first got out of control and we are left with this ...

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dental records ?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I understand your point, but how stupid is it that the state that most presidential candidates spend the most time in is one that is, for the most part, insignificant on the day of the general election and ranks about 30th among the 50 states by population?

10. Screw you!!! for making me laugh at that!

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Something I read, but can't find again, around this time in 2008.

12. I found this ...

http://articles.cnn.com/2006-07-27/politics/mg.thu_1_wisconsin-state-by-state-average-state?_s=PM:pOLITICS

But it's hardly an academic authority on the matter...

Draft saved Draft deleted