1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Cubs prospect and me tearing a gas hose from its pump

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Apr 11, 2009.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Gassing up the car today, when I have to take a monster piss. Unable to wait for the car to fill, I run into the station.

While on my way out, my sister calls my cell. She says her red, 1995 Buick Skylark had sold -- and the classified ad she put in the paper no longer needed to run.

"I sold it to a guy and his son," she says. "Some 18-year-old kid out here from California. He plays with the (Peoria) Chiefs.

"Josh something"

I return to my car and begin to pull away from the pump, all the while realization sinks in that my sister had just sold her car to Chicago Cubs top prospect Josh Vitters, in town for the summer. We had our own Seinfeldian, John/Jon Voight moment.

And then it happened. A loud thump followed by a metallic dragging prefaces me stopping the car to realize I've pulled the gas hose from the pump and driven away. I went inside to explain what happened and gave my information to the clerk.

Of course, I'd like to blame Josh Vitters. Can't do it. Unless of course it's Josh Viters, the periodontist.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You should go to a Chiefs game and get him to bite a pencil. Or your arm. Or both.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Damnit, Arnold stole my pencil post. Jerk!

As scatter-brained as I can be, it's the upset of the century I haven't driven off with the gas pump still in my car, especially since I put gas in my car more than most people.

4. ArnoldBabar

Well, I would hope most people aren't just randomly putting gas in your car. That would be weird.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

It's late, cut me some slack on my bad sentence structure.

6. ArnoldBabar

Now that I think about it, though, it would be awesome if people put gas in your car.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I've read about that kind of thing happening in the old days. Could be an urban legend, though.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The jerk store called. They ran out of you.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pallister has a similiar story, except it's called "A White Sox prospect and me buying him a can of Pabst."

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I wish.

11. ArnoldBabar

And I will now step aside and not post the follow-up so that pallister can. I would never steal his post twice in one night.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Now that you're ordering me around, I don't want to.

Draft saved Draft deleted