1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A crisis of conscience

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You know, I didn't assume the homeless guy in question was black. But yeah, friend in question is made of fail.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Isn't it just as racist to assume that the homeless person asked to sing for the money is black?

Or at least bigoted?

You people sicken me.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well asking someone to sing and dance for money is kind of a cliche out of the racist handbook, is what I was thinking.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Only in the sense that white people can't dance. Which is a cuddly stereotype as opposed to an unacceptable one.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, in my case it's true. So there.

6. The only thing I don't miss about living in Seattle is the endless parade of "homeless punks" up and down Broadway. You can't go more than ten feet without hearing "Can you spare some change so I can get some food." You look down and the little bastard's wearing a leather motorcycle jacket and Doc Martens, has his hair dyed and tattoos all over the place as well as the face that looks like the inside of a fishing tackle box. And nine times out of ten he has a dog.
    I would tell them to eat their dog that way both of them would be put out of their misery.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I agree that giving money to homeless shelters is an important cause. But if there's a person on the street that is begging for a little money, isn't it just as important to give them something to get through a day?

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That was me and I thank you for your contribution to my boozing.

Summer squatters are awesome. They are all over the place in Montreal. "Can you spare some change?" is usually followed up with, "You need a dime?"

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Perhaps you gave him a quarter he would use to go shoot up drugs. Or the guy really makes serious bank and only pretends to be destitute.

I get annoyed when homeless people ask me for money. Let 'em go to a homeless shelter.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

quote]

I agree that giving money to homeless shelters is an important cause. But if there's a person on the street that is begging for a little money, isn't it just as important to give them something to get through a day?
    [/quote]

You gave what you grabbed quickly and the guy was grateful.

How much would you have given? Down payment for a house? First and last month's rent and a security deposit? The cost for rehab and treatment if needed?

Stop kicking yourself. Give a few dollars next time if it makes you feel better. But, as far as making any real difference, your contribution probably won't do all that much by itself.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you dug into your pocket or your check book for every person or organization asking you for money, whether it's a quarter or something far larger, you'd be broke next week. You can't say yes to every request.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't give directly to people no matter what. Instead, I support worthy organizations that help people in various downtrodden situations.

If you feel you're a disgrace, do something. Volunteer: mentor, tutor, help out at homeless shelter, etc. Support isn't just financial.

Draft saved Draft deleted