1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A crime was committed. Have you seen a black man?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Hey maaaan, what you in for?"

"WWH."

"WWH? What's that?"

"Walking While Hispanic."

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

THIS IS OURRRR COUNTREEEE!!!!

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When giving a description of a suspect, it is quite common to give as much information as one has available. That can include race, gender, height, weight, clothing, tattoos or other distinguishing features, etc. Nothing unusual at all about that.

Would it be any different if the dispatcher had said "white male" instead of black?

Some people just go looking for a reason to get offended where there is none.

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Wonder if the "suspicious activity" in question was voting?

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

But this had so little info it becomes useless. It isn't "African-American male, 5-8, 175 lbs., seen near Fifth and Oak and 11:30 p.m. Friday." This is any black male in the county ever. How would Dep. Morgan actually get any useful tips from that? He wouldn't.
    The Update on CJR has it being a photo that the deputy dropped off that was somehow omitted from the paper.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What makes it bad is "involved in some suspicious activity."

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, you report what you have. If you don't know exactly what someone did, "suspicious activity" is a catch-all. If I see someone in an unusual place at an unusual time, it's considered suspicious. If it happens to be a minority in a place where there are not many minorities, it becomes even more suspicious. Common sense.

I remember the story on Dateline of a high school principal in Arkansas who moved into a new house in a rather upscale neighborhood. One of the neighbors called police, wondering what a black person was doing there. The officers questioned him and he said "I live here". The person who complained was told the man had just moved into a new house in the area. Response: "that's even worse."

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Notice no indication is given that the black male is suspected of doing anything.

But be on the lookout anyway.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My favorite police scanner moment ever was:

"Attention all (Podunk) Fahr Fahghters: Ain't no fahr! Ain't no fahr! Just somebody burnin' some tahrs."

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

And you wonder why so many think so little about West Virginia?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

to be fair, African American males make up only 1.7% of the population of West Virginia and about 1.8% of the population of Monongolia County. Conservatively half of that population pool is either too young to be considered a man or too old to be wanted by the police.

In a county of approx 100,332 thousand people (2012 census), the police have narrowed it down to just under 1,000.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Shocking that you consider an out-of-place minority to be suspicious. I can only assume you were in fact the Arkansas neighbor.

Draft saved Draft deleted