1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A cover version/original version rarity

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Oct 26, 2007.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

1) Stones' cover of "Ain't Too Proud to Beg."
    2) U2's "All Along The Watchtower" (compared to the Hendrix version)
    3) "Watusi Rodeo" by Guadalcanal Diary and Reverend Horton Heat
    4) Beatles' "Helter Skelter" as done by Oasis
    5) Clapton's "Forever Man" covered by Big Head Todd and the Monsters

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm listening to Gov't Mule's version of "Cotez the Killer." Take out the subtle keyboads in the background and it sounds exactly like Neil Young's version. Warren Haynes does an incredible job with it.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Forgot one: David Lindley's version of "Mercury Blues" totally destroys Steve Miller's original.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Southside Johnny & the Jukes (non-Springsteen) officially released division:
    - Without Love (Aretha Franklin)
    - Walk Away Renee (the Left Bank, among others)
    - Hang Down Your Head (Tom Waits)
    - Heart of a Saturday Night (Tom Waits)
    - Back in the USA (Chuck Berry)

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Don't know if this one's been mentioned but I just heard it: if Jimi's "All Along The Watchtower" is the greatest Dylan cover ever (and it is) than the Jason and the Scorchers version of "Absolutely Sweet Marie" gets place money.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Elvis Costello division: Roy Orbison's cover of "The Comedians" is far better than the original, and I'd probably take Chet Baker's version of "Almost Blue" over the original. I'd say it's a dead heat with the Dave Edmunds version of "Girls Talk" -- I'll take Elvis' vocals but the Edmunds arrangement.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I was just about to mention Edmonds' "Girls Talk." He (with Rockpile) also ties Graham Parker with "Crawling From the Wreckage."

Tom Waits does a great "Somewhere' (from "West Side Story") on the LP Small Change.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Elvis's "What's So Funny ('Bout Peace, Love and Understanding)" kills the original. I could always imagine John lennon covering that song.

9. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Gov't Mule also does a great job with Neil Young's Don't Let It Bring You Down and Rockin' in the Free World. I actually just found them at www.nugs.net/nugscast/070926.aspx

And no, that's not an illegal download, it's a podcast.

As for my favorite, Phish doing Velvet Underground's Rock and Roll.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I saw them at a Warped Tour a couple years ago. They are very fun to watch. The music is stellar, too.

11. Jims242

Jims242 Member

I thought Nine Inch Nails' cover of "Dead Souls" was done pretty well.
    Can't touch the Joy Division original, but a VERY solid effort.

Draft saved Draft deleted