1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A cover version/original version rarity

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A Nissan ad during the Florida-Georgia game just reminded me of the very cool Clash cover of "Pressure Drop" by Toots and the Maytals.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Huggy,

Saw Toots back in the 70s. Clash cover = more funny than good.

YHS, etc

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Marc Broussard did a great job on a cover of "Love and Happiness" By Al Green.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Pearl Jam gave Last Kiss a really good go.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Me First & The Gimme Gimmes only does covers... Punk pop versions of everything from show tunes to country music. Their musicianship is really good though: members are from the Foo Fighters, NOFX, Lagwagon and the Swingin' Utters. They have been doing it for 10 to 15 years. Some of my favorites of their covers, which are as good as or actually better than the originals are (they are all just way different than the originals -- upbeat and rock):

Don't Cry For Me Argentina (punk rock version of the Broadway song)
    Rainbow Connection (way better than Kermit the Frog's version)
    My Favorite Things (Sound of Music.... Kick Ass punk version)
    It's Raining on Prom Night (The song from Grease... does a funny riff in the middle on menstrual blood running down her thighs using a girl's voice)
    I Believe I Can Fly (This is outstanding... Made R. Kelly take notice)
    Sweet Caroline (OK, the Neil Diamond version is so Neil... But this version rocks)
    Wild World (better than Cat Stevens)
    Seasons In The Sun (Terry Jacks did the original... their version is better)
    Natural Woman (Love the original by Aretha Franklin. Their version is fun in it's own way)
    Stand By Your Man (Would never listen to Tammy Wynette... Will listen to the Gimmes doing this song)

Two other good covers:
    1) Cruel To Be Kind by Letters to Cleo (original by Nick Lowe)
    2) This is blasphemy among some of my friends. But I really love No Doubt's version of It's My Life, which says a lot, because the original by Talk Talk is a favorite pop song of mine and reminds me of my teens.

6. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Agree with the love for the Allman Bros. Statesboro Blues, but check out David Bromberg's acoustic cover for a completely different take on the song.

Recommend Bromberg's version of Goin' to Kansas City, too.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

How could I forget The Gourds' version of "Gin N Juice?"

Then there's Richard Cheese, who does lounge versions of numerous songs:

9. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

The Byrds' version of Mr. Tambourine Man is way better than William Shatner's original. Seriously, though,
    Will Oldham doing "Just to See You Smile" (originally by Tim McGraw) makes me smile and almost cry.
    And the Connells do a clever version of Cypress Hill's "Insane in the Brain."

10. Rod Stewart Division:

1) Only a Hobo. (Dylan)
    2) (I Know) I'm Losin' You (Temptations)
    3) People Get Ready (Impressions)
    4) Twistin' The Night Away (Sam Cooke)
    5) Mama, You Been On My Mind (Dylan).

also:

Share Your Love -- The Band (Bobby Bland).

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Limp Bizkit's additional lyrics in "Behind Blue Eyes" made me want to wretch. In my mind, it ruined a semi-tolerable cover of The Who's original.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't agree with your call on Grand Funk Railroad doing this song. They're good with other songs. This version's an ear worm.

Kylie's is pretty decent.

Draft saved Draft deleted