1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A cover version/original version rarity

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Satchel Pooch, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

As just about anyone with one good ear knows, most cover versions of mainstream rock and pop songs are far worse than their originals.

And then every once in a while, someone will uncork a cover version that far outpaces the original (Jimi's Watchtower comes to mind ... perhaps, as I do, you prefer the female version of "There She Goes Again" over the Las').

But to me, it's quite rare to have an original version and its cover version hit the tape together. I think it's only happened once: Roxette's and DHT's versions of "Listen To Your Heart" are equally wonderful.

I'd enjoy your thoughts on this minomenon, as well as your opinion on how shafted the gal who sang that cover version got by singing under the dopey moniker of DHT rather than her own name, thus being relegated to obscurity. What a waste of a beautiful voice.

2. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I thought "Queen of Hearts" was done equally well by Dave Edmunds, and then Juice Newton.

Same thing with "More Than This," first by Roxy Music and then by 10,000 Maniacs.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I really like Reel Big Fish's version of "Take On Me," originally done by A Ha. And Green Day's cover of Operation Ivy's "Knowledge" is damn good, too.

4. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Anyone ever hear English Beat do the reggae-punk version of "Tears of a Clown"? Not shabby at all.

And then there's CCR's "Heard It Through the Grapevine," a cover classic, and Weezer's cover of "Earth Angel."

5. Good call on "More Than This." Didn't know Edmunds did "Queen of Hearts" first.

I guess Chicago's two versions of "25 or 6 to 4" don't count? :)

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Baker Street, first by Gerry Raferty and then by Foo Fighters. Both awesome in their own way.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Grapevine" is a double cover classic.. first by Marvn Gaye and then by CCR.
    And there is nothing wrong with the Gladys Knight and the Pips original.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Pat Benatar's version of Rated X is a mile better than Nick Gilder's.

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I'll take Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" over all those that came before.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I would say X's "Wild Thing" stands on par with the original.

And 10,000 Maniacs (with Michael Stipe) did a live cover of "To Sir with Love" that also met the bar.

11. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Ryan Adams' new EP has a strong version of Alice in Chain's "Down In A Whole"

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Boy, some strong answers on here. Thanks for jogging the old noggin. Especially:

The Baker Streets. Both are SO good.

Also...
    JC's and Simon and Garfunkle's Bridge Over Troubled Water (blasphemy? nah.)
    Ryan Adams' and Oasis' Wonderwalls?

I, do, however think Lulu and Soul Asylum's To Sir With Love from Unplugged is better than Natalie and Michael's and Lulu's original.

Draft saved Draft deleted