1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A couple of questions about letters to the editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Oct 28, 2007.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

1. Should letters about sports and sports coverage run in the sports section?

I feel strongly that they should. We used to make space on Page 3 (open local page) when we had them.

How do you feel?

What does your paper do?

2. How does the advent of comments on stories change the dynamic of running letters to the editor in general?

I am unsure about this one.

[Edit: Adding a couple more questions]

3. What do you do when the letter directly whacks a staff member?

4. When you you add an editor's note?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Whenever letters were sports related I'd run them in sports.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know of one paper that, if they can confirm the comments on stories, are running them in the paper as letters. It's rare, but it's being done.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If you have a sports letters to the editor section, run them there. Lots of papers don't, and just run them in the main letters to the editor section. I don't have a problem either way.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

One of my local papers runs selected e-mail comments. I assume they check.

But lots of stories get many, many comments.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Dealing with questions 3 and 4:

If a letter fairly whacks a staff member, you still publish it, although I guess you can give the whackee a heads-up.

If a letter is unfair, inaccurate or otherwise inappropriate for publication, then you return it to the writer.

Not sure why you'd add an editor's note. Playing defense, returning volleys from letter writers -- that just seems small-time. The only time my shop does it is to add context a reader might otherwise miss. For instance, the paper might note that Joe Q. Smith, who wrote the letter complaining about the mayoral candidate, is that candidate's opponent. Stuf like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted