1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A couple of jobs at The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Oct 16, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I've observed lately that Pedro Moura (really good), the regular beat guy, has written very little specifically about them, doing more general baseball stuff. Molly Knight (horrible writer) is somehow a columnist for The Athletic and she has been doing beat stories. She never comes up with anything new, just rehash of what has already been written elsewhere (i.e.: The Dodgers are really good this season with an 8-2 record.). It's too important of a beat to have Knight on it.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I often wonder why when I see big boy jobs opening just at the start of a season. Yes, great gigs come up, but this post tells me a lot too.

3. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

What do they have Andy McCullough doing?

4. ChrisLong

General baseball stuff.

5. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

I bet they get Eric Stephen. Or a kid just out of school who interned at MLB.com.

6. ChrisLong

I met Eric Stephen a few years ago at a BBWAA meeting. I'd heard of him but never read his stuff. I told him how confusing it was because the Ducks writer for The Athletic is Eric Stephens, who has been a friend and co-worker for more than 30 years.

Also, JP Hoornstra is very good, too. Hope he gets a look if he wants it. Also very good is OCR Dodgers beat writer Bill Plunkett. He and Hoornstra are veterans. I would guess they've been looked at previously by The Athletic.

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

RonClements likes this.
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The Athletic occasionally appreciates a little bit of institutional knowledge. The MLB.com kid will have plenty of opportunities when the dot com fires a bunch of people for the crime of turning 35 this year.

Woody Long likes this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Per his Twitter, Pedro Moura has become the next former national baseball writer at Fox Sports, which apparently is on the latest WE NEED WRITERS cycle of its bipolar existence. You'd think Ken Rosenthal would warn him against that, but what do I know?

RonClements and wicked like this.
  10. Adam94

Adam94 Member

So by Fox Sports does he mean Bally Sports? Or what is going on with that rebrand? If the regional networks are going to be called Bally Sports the national website probably should have the same branding.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The former regional networks are owned by Sinclair and haven’t had a corporate connection to Fox Sports for a while now.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted