1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A couple of jobs at The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Senior editor on the NBA team

The Athletic Media Company - Senior Editor, NBA

(I love love love our NBA crew)

Copy editor, Universal Desk

(This is on my team, which may negate all the good stuff about working at The Athletic. Kidding, I love this crew even with its leader. We work nights and weekends. We stay busy but we have fun)

The Athletic Media Company - Copy Editor, Universal Desk

Of course, since I work there you'd expect me to rave. I get that. But those who know me know I'm being quite sincere here: Best work-life balance I've ever had. Best benefits package I've ever had, by far. I really do enjoy working there.

FileNotFound, garrow, maumann and 4 others like this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

A few years (uh, more than a few) too late for me, Moddy. If you could entice Mile High, that would be a good get.

3. Jcamps

Jcamps New Member

Applied for the Copy Editor position a few days ago, have been lucky to know a couple of folks that work for the New York coverage team. The Athletic has been a phenomenal example of present-day sports journalism. Still can't believe it's only been four years. Once they got Rosenthal over there, knew it was a game-changer.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Moddy Seal of Approval. If I was still a working stiff, I'd be all over this. You should be, too.

5. Eddie Herz

Eddie Herz New Member

Any beat writer positions that could open soon? Would love to work for The Athletic!

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In this case, though, the "smell test" may involve Ella.

Gidal Kaiser, wicked and maumann like this.
  7. ScottyB

ScottyB New Member

Any news on whether they've made hires for the copy desk? I applied a while ago now, and just saw they removed the posting from the Athletic jobs website. I haven't been contacted and figure I would've been by now if they were interested, but just wanted to double check considering the original poster works in that department. Any updates, Moderator1?

NFL Draft biographies likes this.
  8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Considering they just laid off 8 percent of their workforce, I sincerely doubt the job you applied for or any others that were open still exist. Just a thought.

9. Moderator1

Sorry, I did not see this when you posted or I would have replied then.

Yes, we've made hires. Had a ton of excellent candidates. Three new editors are starting work on my team this month. Contrary to what the post above this says, the jobs that were posted recently do exist and have been filled.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

@Doc Holliday returns after months away only to immediately post something wrong?

Adam94 likes this.
  11. ScottyB

ScottyB New Member

@Moderator1 thanks for the response and congrats on the hires. I always thought I was a long shot, considering I’ve got 18 years as a beat writer with no time as a copy editor as my title, even with a bunch of editing shifts under my belt. Figured you guys would have a bunch of great options. I have a bunch of friends at The Athletic and they all love the experience. Thanks again for the time. Best of luck to you.

12. Moderator1

Thank you - and yes, this is a great time to be hiring editors because as has been discussed all over this board, many outlets are cutting them. So there are plenty with good experience out there.

As for you, you have NO shot if you don't apply so you did the right thing. Keep checking the job board and something may pop up that's a perfect fit.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, those who know me know I'm not saying it just to say it: It is a great place to work. Management here, more than any of the many places I've been, continues to look for ways to make it even better and actually listens to us. I could give numerous examples but in the interest of time and space, I won't. So you'll just have to trust me.

Draft saved Draft deleted