1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A cool game on now on the NHL Network

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by accguy, Sep 23, 2008.

1. accguy

accguy Member

I do like the NHL so maybe this seems especially cool to me, but the NHL Network is showing a cool exhibition game between Montreal and Buffalo from a rink that seats 1,200 (yes 1,200) in Roberville, Quebec.

For Canadian SJ, you can skip this, but it's part of a Hockeyville contest in which towns from across Canada bid to host this game. CBC does "shows" on each finalist town.

Anyway, they're playing in this little tiny rink that is just packed. It would be like a NBA exhibition game in some tiny town high school gym or a NFL exhibition at a high school.

The rink is just packed with people. They're standing behind the end boards. Not a seat in the place. There are apparently thousands in the parking lot watching on a big screen. I realize leagues play exhibitions in smaller buildings all the time, but this is extreme. This building is tiny by ECHL standards. Quite cool.

Anyway, it's 1-0 Habs after one.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

ACC,
    There's a nice bit about the game by Stu Hackel in the NYTimes hockey blog, Slapshot

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/the-morning-skate-big-games-in-roberval-and-bern/#more-852

For those of you who don't know it Slapshot is one of the most comprehensive hockey blogs around: they update everything from junior hockey to the European and the KHL.

There's some good back and forth in the comments section between Stu & the readers.

There are a couple of other Times people including Lynn Zinser but Stu does most of the heavy lifting.

That and James Mirtle's blog are, in my opinion, the two best and most informative hockey blogs around, although Puck Daddy is pretty funny from time to time.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I like the series they've had on recently: Best (fill in your rivals here) Playoff Games.

Watched the Kings-Oilers series from the 90s last night. OUT-standing stuff that brought back good, good memories of fire-wagon, entertaining hockey.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Usually the NHL has a TV audience of less than 2,000.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Stanley Cup Finals in the U.S.: 3.2 per game.

Just saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted