1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A column

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Hey all, first time posting on here. I think I wrote something pretty good, but am looking for second/third hell 100th opinions if I can get it. Here it is, a fantasy football column:

OK, Halloween is over. The candy is spread out over the table and ready to be sorted into neat piles of the good stuff and the bad stuff.
    Time to throw away those stale popcorn balls and greedily hoard the tastiest treats.
    In fantasy football terms, that means its time for the annual Tricks And Treats column. We’ll look at the three best treats for fantasy owners this year and the three worst tricks that draft picks have played on their hapless owners.
    Let’s get the bad stuff out of the way first.

TRICKS
    Shaun Alexander, RB, Seattle: Fantasy owners expecting to bite into a nice fresh caramel apple soon found out the taste was more akin to rotten tomatoes.
    Alexander ranks 19th in yardage and has scored only two times this year.
    Vince Young, QB, Tennessee: The horror story that is the Madden Curse seems to have sunk its claws deep into Young’s gimpy leg. Not only is he injured right now, but he was playing poorly before then, collecting double the number of picks to touchdowns ( six to three) and just 140 yards and a score on the ground while losing four fumbles.
    Marvin Harrison, WR, Indianapolis: Even before he got injured he was having a down year.
    Yes, he’s about as old as that Snickers bar you found under the couch cushions from last Halloween, but his 20 catches and one touchdown is not what owners expected to sink their teeth into when they drafted him early.
    TREATS
    Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota: This rookie phenom’s stats have been like pouring out your Halloween haul and finding nothing but Pixy Stix ... SWEET!
    He leads the league in rushing, he’s scored six times and he’s a threat every time he touches the ball.
    Just ask the Bears.
    Brett Favre, QB, Green Bay: Many owners stayed away from Favre like many kids stay away from the one house on their Halloween route that gives out trail mix every year. This year he’s turned it around and has made those faithful to his magic very thankful.
    Randy Moss, WR, New England: Ever know of a kid whose parents wouldn’t let him out of the house on Halloween because they didn’t want him to get all jacked up on sugar? That was Moss the past couple of years.

START ’EM
    Ahman Green, RB, Houston: The Raiders are next to last in rush defense and have given up 10 scores on the ground.
    Kevin Jones, RB, Detroit: Denver is last in the league in rushing defense, and Jones has been strong lately.

Sit ’EM
    Willis McGahee, RB, Baltimore: The Steelers have given up one score on the ground all year. Don’t expect them to give up much at home on Monday night.
    Kurt Warner, QB, Arizona: He’s banged up and the Bucs have the second-ranked pass defense in the league.

Wake-Up Call
    Matt Hasselbeck, QB, Seattle: His relatively quiet year could pick up against a very bad Cleveland pass defense that’s ranked No. 31.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't like this part.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Here's what Yahoo says about Green:

Nov 1 Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans RB Ahman Green (knee) practiced Thursday, Nov. 1, and should be available to play Week 9. He is likely a game-time decision.

Nov 1 Green (knee) was listed as a limited participant at Thursday's practice.
    Recommendation: Green reportedly ran hard Thursday after sitting out Wednesday's practice. Green says that he feels healthy enough to play on Sunday, but he will evaluated on a day-by-day basis according to coach Gary Kubiak, the Texans' official site reports.

So, factually, I'm not sure I'd flat state that people should start him. He was a surprise no-go last week, remember?

And I, personally, am not a fan of the overly kitschy columns. Fantasy football, more ability to be silly, I guess. But I almost feel like the lede was enough, and continuing it on every line was overbearing.

But you did back up your opinion with facts, and that's always good.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Thanks, I guess you'd hate my annual Turkeys column :D

Taking a chance on Green, seeing as he didn't go last week I would think he'd be ready this week after reading that he did practice on Thursday. You just never know though.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Draft saved Draft deleted