1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A column to make you cringe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by caesarsghost, Jan 17, 2007.

1. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

I don't think I've ever read a more unprofessional column ... i don't know what the circulation is --- but that shouldn't even happen in a high school monthly. Kudos to the Standard and its eye for ethics.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

The truly sad thing is that column will likely win him an award.

And I doubt very much that this would've happened at the Standard before it was taken over by the parasites that currently own it. Jack Gatecliff is probably spinning like 9-0.

3. Lordy, where to begin?

I was also worried about what my wife would think about me talking about writing about my experience. About.

I was also hoping to mangle the English language. Thank God I did something right.

This guy should have his high school diploma revoked.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

I love this graph:

I was originally going to take my four-year-old son, Ryan, with me, but after consulting with my wife Sue, I realized it might be a bit overwhelming for him at such a young age. So I Sue and I took in the game and had a terrific time.

I'm waiting for him to include what they had for dinner

It makes the whole top of the column irrelevant. Who cares if Peters gave him tickets if he ended up taking his kid to the skate? (all the problems with that aside)

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

once again, here's another guy from podunk who didn't ask to have his prose debated on a national message board getting ripped to shreds. what was the intention of the guy who started this thread?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

My guess is he works or worked with and dislikes the writer and wanted to discredit him and his work.

I've never done it, but I can totally understand why someone would want to.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wrong, nevertheless.

agreed?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Agreed.

It's always a better idea to have a friend or family member start the shitstorm on your behalf. :D

9. I'd normally agree with what you're getting at here, but man, this one was just on a whole different plain.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i agree with double j, i mean i don't even like the guy -- and respect him even less -- after reading that column, but damn, i'm sitting here feeling like the guy just got mugged.

if he's never been taught the difference, how can we hold it against him? ... and, since we have no idea about the guy's background, we only can assume he didn't know any better.

11. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Tom,

I had the same initial reaction. But then I read the column. It makes us alll look bad. It isn't the writing. It is the ethics. He deserves to get shredded. It's an affront to the profession.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but this is absolutely the kind of column that SHOULD be posted and then trashed on a message board about journalism, regardless of where it is from. Ethically speaking, this is a joke.

This dude is in podunk for a reason, but the bigger picture is, this newspaper has no credibility at all and whoever the editor is that let this get published should be sent packing.

Can anyone else imagine going to their boss and saying, "I have a great idea for a column --- I got free tickets from a professional athlete and then (presumably used my status as a sports reporter who knew the athlete) to talk my way into the locker room with my son and he received gifts from said athlete as well. What a neat experience, what do you think, don't you think this is a great column?"

At what other paper would some BS like this fly?

This is a joke, this writer is a joke and his paper is a joke.

And it doesn't matter if it is high profile guys like Wilbon, Marriotti or Whitlock or some Jabroni from nowhere - this forum exists to discuss important (and not so important) issues in our business.

And the issue here is credibility. Are you a fanboy or a professional journalist?

I'm sure every one of us has taken a free ticket or some free shirts or something along those lines in the past, but ain't none of us dumb enough to broadcast it.

Draft saved Draft deleted