1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A College Football Question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Jul 4, 2008.

  1. Michael_ Gee

    Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

    This is the only place in my life where I can discuss college football. One of the downsides of Boston life, but one reason I like this board.
    Anyway, over on the horrifying Tampa Trib thread, someone said Tampa is a "Florida not Florida State town." How does that shake out across the state? Jacksonville is the only Florida city with which I'm familiar, and it's 50-50 there. I assume the U fan base pretty much peters out at Palm Beach. If you had one of those CNN-John King election maps for fans in the state of Florida, what would it look like?
  2. GB-Hack

    GB-Hack Active Member

    I believe ESPN did a map of that a few years ago, with the various colleges "Areas", as it were. I'll go and see if I can find a copy.
  3. nafselon

    nafselon Active Member

    Tampa to Orlando (a.k.a. the I-4 corridor) is definitely Gator nation. Moreso in Tampa than Florida. Daytona/St. Johns area is a little more 50/50. Jacksonville identifies with the Gators much more as does the Space Coast.

    Once you past Tampa on the west side of the state. The Suncoast and Southwest Florida is a slight lean to the Seminoles. Anything south of there is about 65% Hurricanes and a split on the other 35%, maybe a slight lean to FSU.

    The media coverage in Florida is HEAVILY slanted to the Gators because they have the large journalism school and so many UF graduates have major roles in papers here...especially the Sentinel and the Tribune.
  4. dixiehack

    dixiehack Well-Known Member

    Further north, the majority shifts from Gators to Noles somewhere around Live Oak, obviously peaks around Tallahassee and stays pro-FSU through the Panhandle, although you start picking up more Gator fans again by the time you reach Pensacola.
  5. nafselon

    nafselon Active Member

    Actually Pensacola and a lot of the northwest, to my surprise, identify more with the Alabama schools....especially Auburn.

    But yeah, from Live Oak to Okaloosa County is pretty firm Seminole area. However even in those areas the media is firmly Gator slanted.
  6. deskslave

    deskslave Active Member

    Not that surprising to me. A lot of those areas have far more in common with Alabama than they do with Florida.
  7. I Digress

    I Digress Guest

    space coast, treasure coast area... uh.. melbourne, port st. lucie, south down to north palm beach seem to be mostly gator nation
  8. nafselon

    nafselon Active Member

    Yes, I said Jacksonville down to the Space Coast identifies with the Gators. Once you get into Palm Beach County, however, it's a different world. At least half the population is made up of transplanted northerners who could give a fuck either way and you get a wide assortment otherwise with Hurricane fans starting to get recognized.
  9. hondo

    hondo Well-Known Member

    The Jacksonville chapter of Gator Boosters is the largest in the nation. The Bull Gators within Jacksonville also are among the wealthiest. Jax is a Gator town, and FSU is such a distant second that it's not worth the discussion.
  10. Moderator1

    Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

    Isn't that true for most of the state, Hondo? I'm not there all the time but the sense I get is Florida is very much a Florida State (save for Tallahassee) and the others split the difference?
  11. Michael_ Gee

    Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

    Hondo, all I can tell you is the evidence of my own five senses visiting my parents there for decades now indicates Fla-FSU are nearly equal in terms of support. They sure are in the men's locker room at Plantation at Ponte Vedra Beach, anyway.
  12. Hammer Pants

    Hammer Pants Active Member

    I disagree. I just think North Florida is full of trashy areas. I laugh when UF fans call other SEC fans rednecks. It's like they don't live in North Florida...
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page