1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A clipboard and a confident wave will get you into any building in the world...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And apparently an orange tie will get you on the floor at the Greensboro Coliseum.

http://deadspin.com/uva-fan-bluffs-his-way-through-the-perfect-acc-title-ga-1547386713?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Regarding the title of this thread:

I would suggest that you not try that trick getting into the living quarters of Kim Jong-un... There might be some years at hard labor associated with that activity.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Regarding the title of this thread:

I teach an intro journalism course and always make the kids watch that movie. Love it.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

And it's stories like this that make it harder for the next journalist to just get his job done. Screw that kid.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Greensboro Coliseum staff not exactly covering themselves in glory on that one.

It's funny but it's not.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My wife used to teach this kid. Her words: "He's an arrogant little shit. I'm not at all surprised he'd try something like this."

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Great story. Here's another. 16 year old from Jersey sneaks past sleeping guards and
    gets to top of the new World Trade Center.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/20/teen-sneaks-past-sleeping-wtc-guard-reaches-104th-floor/

You would hope that security would be a lot tighter given the building.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

He's a sophomore at James Madison? JMU = Just Missed UVa.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had a friend in college who worked security at a concert and stole the yellow security jacket and used it for almost a decade to get into all kinds of events for free. He was never caught, never questioned...

He definitely had the confidence to pull it off. He only stopped doing it after we pulled him aside at a wedding and explained to him if he got caught, he would probably lose his job (He's an attorney at a firm that has luxury boxes at most of the events he would sneak into...).

He's a really good guy, he just likes to live dangerously.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Big deal, it's freakin' Greensboro. It's not like he crashed a White House dinner.

I'll add that a true gatecrasher NEVER pays for a ticket. That's how I got into the Giants-Broncos Super Bowl -- without paying.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Well, I wasn't going to say it.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The clipboard is true. I used a clipboard when covering events and would always get questions like I was an administrator or something. I stopped carrying them when covering marathons/triathlons because everyone thought I was the race director. "No, I don't know where you pick up your medal."

Draft saved Draft deleted