1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Christmas with a Foster Child - What a Gift

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jan 13, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

At Christmas this year, our family had a special guest, let's call him Johnny.

Johnny is a 9 yr old who was placed with my cousin's family about 2 weeks before Christmas. He was my cousin's first foster placement. My cousin and spouse have two teenage daughters and had just finished their foster care training. They were given Johnny with him basically having the clothes on his back. He had apparently suffered some mistreatment from a parent (I don't think foster parents are not told very much about the problems and they are told to keep most confidential.)

We were hosting this year and there would be about 25 people over. I did not know what to expect from Johnny, I was excited to have a new addition to the gathering.

Well here he comes and he is the sweetest boy imaginable. He's inquisitive, welcoming, and exudes warmth. My cousin introduced me as the host to Johnny and I played a little football with him and my cousin's SI. He was very appreciative of all the gifts he received.

What is a killer is looking at this sweet boy and knowing that he's been wronged. How could anyone do that to such a sweet, precious thing? I only hope he finds someone who even remotely recognizes what a gift he is.

After they left, it hit me that I may never see him again (they are from out of town). As foster parents, ideally they are only a temporary bridge to a more permanent placement with a relative or otherwise. On one hand that saddens me, but on the larger scale I know that means Johnny is on a better path and that is much more important.

To all the foster parents out there (okay, all those who are what its all about, the vast majority), you provide an amazing service to those in need, a warm shelter from the storms around them, I salute you.

To Johnny, he truly was a gift to us and I say thanks.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Let's hope he remembers this Christmas as the time things started to get better. That'll last longer than anything Santa left under the tree.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Great story. I hope Johnny can spend as much time as he can with a family that cares for him.

A guy in my unit has been a short-term foster parent for years.

The kid he has now is around 4-5 and has abuse burns over 30 percent of his little body. They take regular trips to Vandy's burn facility, and the kid's getting much better. He's a wonderful kid in a great place.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Beautiful.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Thank you, qtlaw.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. My wife and I had talked about becoming foster parents for years but we were always in the midst of trying to have babies of our own or raising a toddler and a teenager and I thought we just would not have the time.

Now that our youngest has turned 2 we are starting the process. I admit that I have reservations about bringing in a potentially disruptive force into our home but I think it can also set a good example for our own children while being a rewarding experience.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I have 10 siblings: 3 biological, 1 adopted, 4 foster and 2 steps. I can't count how many foster siblings I had in addition to the ones that were 'lifers'. I think it's a great thing, obviously.

Thanks for sharing your story, qtlaw.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Thanks very much for the much-need pick-me-up, qtlaw.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

qtlaw, your cousin and her family are helping Johnny learn what a nuclear family should be. You did your part, too, by showing what a loving extended family can offer.

Good on all of you.

Draft saved Draft deleted