1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Christmas Story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine. Be sure to drink your ovaltine? A crummy commercial. Son of a bitch!"

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

McGavin was also Adam Sandler's father in Billy Madison. He was good there, too.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yeah, he made a truly horrid movie at least semi-watchable.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Son of a bitch.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody ever see the wretched "sequel" A Summer Story featuring the younger Culkin boys that came out in the early 90s?
    I break out my Flick "action figure" still in the box (complete with flag pole) every Christmas and proudly display him next to my Hermy the wanna-be dentist from Rudolph and Heat Miser and Snow Miser from Year without a Santa Clause. What a good movie. What a great legacy for the cast and crew and Shepherd to become a Christmas tradition.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Never saw that second movie, nor have I ever gotten the urge.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My sister and brother-in-law gave my dad an actual 20-inch Leg Lamp. My dad's the only one in the house who gets excited about seeing it, and they waited until McGavin got the lamp before giving my dad his. It was pretty cool.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

if you want a treat, go to www.flicklives.com.

it's a Shep tribute site. Has all the stuff about his tv shows, the movie, the short stories, etc.

And links to Max Schmid's "Mass Backwards" page, where one Shepherd radio program runs each week.

Excelsior, you fatheads!

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I forgot to eat before I went to work tonight, and I didn't have any salami to make my usual sandwiches, so I was stuck looking for a place to eat before work. I drove up and down the avenue my office is on before work, hoping to see a fast-food joint open. Nope.

However, I did see a couple Chinese restaurants open. Only one car in each parking lot, which immediately got me thinking about the Christmas dinner scene. I couldn't help but laugh as I drove past.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I hope you at least sang 'Fa ra ra ra ra...ra ra ra ra' while doing so.

And when did you change over to salami for the sammiches? It always thought it was ham.

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

follow up to flicklives.com.... there's a great Shepherd show about Christmas on there right now. Vintage Shepherd.

Flick Lives.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've got a Ralphie bobblehead that is permanently displayed on my cluttered work desk. Last year sometime, the computer decided to eat a story about 15 mins before deadline. I got pissed, bounced my pen off my desk, and though I didn't realize it until a few days later, I busted Ralphie's glasses when I did it. Sort of like a small, metal icicle. Pulverized.

Draft saved Draft deleted