1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Christmas Story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Dec 24, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

With all respect to It's A Wonderful Life ... Ralphie just unwrapped his Red Ryder air rifle .... and the TBS marathon continues until 8 p.m. tomorrow

I love this movie!

Merry Christmas to all my friends at SJ .. and tonight that means all of you, even Yawn.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, fudge. ...

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Spnited... we had just returned from a nice Xmas eve dinner (no duck, just steak), popped the cookies in the oven and turned this on for our annual ritual when I decided to check in to see if the obligatory "Oh my God. I shot my eye out..." thread was out and about.

And it was. Nicely done.

I've seen this movie probably 40 times and the scene in the Chinese restaurant at the end, when the duck is "smiling at us," -- followed by the maitre'd chopping its head off -- never ceases to crack me up.

While shopping last week, I went to this store at Farmer's Market in LA that had the Leg Lamp for sale. Mrs. Birdscribe and I nearly pulled the trigger; once our game room is set up, we will.

Let me echo those sentiments. Happy Holidays to SportsJournalists.com Nation from the Birdscribes.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I came home from Christmas Eve Mass just as Ralphie was putting on the pink rabbit pajamas.
    I am now watching it agin.
    Tomorrow, I will watch it again at my sister's house with my niece and nephew. I've been told to arrive in time for the 2 p.m. showing before dinner!

Was the Leg Lamp you looked at from Italy?

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Goodfellas on A&E right now!

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The 24-hour marathon is one of the greatest brainstorms ever. Every year I'll bet I watch it five times just on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day alone. I also know it verbatim.

Keeping all that in mind, my parents a few years back got me talking dolls of Ralphie and The Old Man -- the real detailed ones. They've become a staple of our family's celebration, as has the mini leg lamp they also got me.

Yep, a miniaturized version of the 'Major Award', complete with the fringes on the lampshade. Too awesome.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'll confess that I've never watched this whole movie. Seen bits and pieces but never watched it through. I think the main reason is that on my mom's side of the family we never watched TV during Xmas and on my dad's side it was all Stooges all the time. Consequently, I love the 3 Stooges but have never seen this movie. Oh, and Merry Xmas to everyone at SJ.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

TBS. Now. Sit there for two consecutive hours. And only then can you cash in my well wishes on this holiday.

9. Classic movie, and one of my all-time favorites.

When I was 10 my dad did the whole gig with hiding the Red Ryder BB gun behind our TV and asked me what it was, yada yada yada.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

God bless you, Mike.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My dad did that with my brother, too. Then my brother shot the oven a couple years later. I'm not sure where the gun is now.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm going to bed soon but I plan on catching it tomorrow during the afternoon. Although, I doubt it's better than watching classic Stooges so I don't think I've really missed out, just been introduced to a different funny tradition.

Draft saved Draft deleted