1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Charlie Brown Christmas Alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery Meat II, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Lucy/Schroeder Jingle Bells bit is one of the funniest parts of the show.

And who are the twin Asian girls on the show that we never see again?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Every old TV show or special is edited for time now (and has been for a while now). The original "Charlie Brown Christmas" was 25 minutes long. The typical half hour show these days is closer to 22 minutes to allow for commercials.

I would guess the people who are noticing the editing have gotten used to seeing it on tape or DVD, because I suspect the edits have been in the broadcast version for years. (Can't say for sure because we've had the DVD for years, and I haven't seen the broadcast in a long time.)

Similarly every old 60s/70s show like "The Brady Bunch" is absolutely hacked to bits for syndication.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

All the bits I referenced were in the ABC version last year. Ever since we've gotten a DVR, I've been too lazy to hook up the DVD player.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I have the VCR tape of Christmas and last Christmas my sister bought her daughter (6 years old) the DVD and the holiday CD. The kid loves Charlie Brown because she loves listening to the music like "Skating":

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Just listened to the remastered soundtrack on iTunes. What a fucking perfect Christmas album.

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Absolutely. The Vince Guaraldi version of "Christmas Time Is Here" is just amazing...

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Could not agree more.

And anyone who edits out Schroeder is a fool.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I played it on Sunday night when the snow started to fall out here in Des Moines. It was the one positive thing that kept me in a good mood during this snowstorm we had this past week.

I always feel like a kid when Vince lays his hands on the piano and start working his magic.

Draft saved Draft deleted