1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A challenge for my fellow movie buffs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jul 24, 2007.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Army in the Shadows - Just released in the states last year, this 1969 French WW2 film is a masterpiece. See this now.
    Caché - 2005 French noir thriller. Awesomely creepy.
    Where the Buffalo Roam - Bill Murray as Hunter S. Thompson. Hotel room football scene is one you're not likely to forget.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

"Orgazmo" - the second movie by Trey Parker and Matt Stone of South Park. With that in mind, "Baseketball" is still one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Also, "The Burbs" is the only movie I can think of that has both Tom Hanks AND Corey Feldman in it. Also, its funny as hell.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Here's a good double feature "Sideways" and "California Split", this Robert Altman movie from the 70s. They're pretty much in the same vein.
    "Idiocracy" was quite funny -- a satire of the future done by Mike Judge.
    I was thinking of this movie the other day, for some reason "CQ". It's a movie by Roman Coppola
    (son of Francis Ford, brother of Sofia) about a young filmmaker directing a "Barbarella" rip off in the late 60s.
    Oh, and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" was pretty damn good.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang was hilarious. Great performances by Downey and Kilmer.

5. The Nomi Song--excellent documentary on the life of Klaus Nomi

If you can get your friend to read subtitles I highly recommend Cache (someone mentioned it earlier). It's an amazing flick. I saw it in the theater five times (it's that good...plus you'll want to watch it several times just to look for clues). Ron Howard is set to do an American remake (which makes me shake my head just thinking about it).

Other flicks I'll recommend:
    Kiss of Death--the original starring Richard Widmark
    Forbidden Zone--cult flick featuring Herve Villechaize, Susan Tyrell, and The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo
    The Third Man--excellent British spyjinks
    Out of the Past--my all-time fave film...classic noir with Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, and Kirk Douglas
    The Searchers--quite possibly the best western ever made
    Sexy Beast--Ben Kingsley will see you next Tuesday!
    Overlord--excellent film telling the story of a British soldier from boot camp to D-Day; actual war footage was used and flows seamlessly with the staged footage.
    Dark City--future-noir from the director of The Crow
    Glengarry Glen Ross--because everybody needs to see Jack Lemmon say "cocksucker"

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Pushing Tin has been on HBO the last week or so.....Billy Bob in one of his first hits, and a halfway funny John Cusack.

Great movie.

Oh, and whoever said Baseketball.......bravo.

"You're excited.........feel these nipples!"--costas.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hurly Burly is a strange little enjoyable flick.

8. joe

joe Active Member

"Salvador," the only fucking thing Jim Belushi (in a secondary role) was ever good in.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

The Salton Sea

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I had high hopes for that one, but I wasn't that impressed.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Snatch - cool, cool flick
    Slap Shot - funny
    Bang the Drum Slowly - just to see a young Bobby D
    The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh - campy
    Krull - To watch a young Liam Niesson. It's just hypnotizingly bad.

I agree. Glenngary is a great movie, but not if you drive a Hyundai to work

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Hey, coffee is for closers.

Draft saved Draft deleted