1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A challenge for my fellow movie buffs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Try these. I think I understand the genre you're looking for:

King of New York (better/similar to Boondock Saints)
    The Way of the Gun
    Primer

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And if you're looking for something along the lines of Hard Candy, go with "Freeway."

Reese Witherspoon and Keifer. A very dark update on the Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale. Reminds you that Witherspoon can do just about anything.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'll third Miller's Crossing. Also, I think Boondock Saints is head and shoulders above Suicide Kings. I like Suicide Kings, watched it last week in fact, but I absolutely love Boondock. I'm guessing that people are more likely to have seen that, though.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Recently released on DVD -- Venus. Peter O'Toole with a well deserved nomination for Best Actor.

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I'll second Brassed Off! and Cinema Paradiso

6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Lovers And Other Strangers with a cast that includes Richard Castellano, Bea Arthur, Gig Young, Cloris Leachman and Diane Keaton, among others.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Election
    Croupier

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't think I could watch a movie with "lovers" in the title that also starred Bea Arthur and Cloris Leachman.

*shiver*

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Tea House of August Moon (ps if you find this movie, please let me know because all the freakin places in Halifax don't have this classic Marlon Brando movie...he was hilarious in it)

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Moving Violations

Blown Away (Nicole Eggert.......thank me later)

11. Big old bingo! right there, especially John Huston as the crazy Joe Kennedy figure. Novel's better, but the movie's terrific fun.
    This one has become prominent recently, but if your friends haven't seen the original Manchurian Candidate -- from a Richard Condon novel, like WK -- you should do them a solid there.
    Otherwise, I'd recommend the Bill Forsyth trilogy: Gregory's Girl, Local Hero and Comfort And Joy. And, for Huston, try his gorgeous take on James Joyce's "The Dead."

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, how about The One That Got Away....

Draft saved Draft deleted