1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A challenge for my fellow movie buffs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jul 24, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A couple friends and I have decided to do a movie day where we each pick a movie that not a lot of people have seen, but that we think is great, and watch all of them.

I recently made them all watch 'Hard Candy,' which I bought largely on the recommendations of SportsJournalists.com. While that would have been a perfect one for this kind of thing, they've all seen it now, so it's off the list.

So now I'm looking for some more suggestions. It doesn't have to be obscure, it just has to be a good movie that wasn't a box-office smash.

A couple I've been toying with are Boondock Saints and Suicide Kings, but I'm not sure if they've all seen those already. So let's hear what you've got.

(One caveat: One of the members of our group hates subtitles, so let's try to keep it to english-speaking films.)

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Saved!
    Igby Goes Down

And if you want to see a laughably bad movie that has become my cult favorite, check out Rage with Gary Daniels. It's the best/worst movie I've ever seen.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I will not keep it to English-speaking films, regardless of whatever caveat your reading-averse friend would like to impose.

The best movie I have ever seen is "Cinema Paradiso," an Italian movie from the late 80s that won for best foreign-language film. If you ever decide to see it, I can't stress enough that you should see the original version and not the director's cut, which brought an unsatisfying resolution to a storyline that was better left unresolved as it was in the original.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll second ijag's reccomendation of Saved!

Miller's Crossing.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Brassed Off.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

What's that movie where the body count is like 200 by the 1st hour of the film?

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

First of all, keep in mind that I'm older than most of you and I don't deal with many current movies. But if you want an enjoyable mystery, try to find "The List Of Adrian Messenger" with George C. Scott. I guarantee you'll like it.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Outstanding call.

I might also add Last of the Finest, Let It Ride, McCabe and Mrs. Miller and, for Casty, Foreign Correspondent

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Two excellent choices.

Shattered Glass
    Reservoir Dogs
    Singles
    Shallow Grave
    Heavenly Creatures.

Those are just some off the top of my head.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Slappy, Foreign Correspondent is outstanding but may be too well-known for this category.

11. I don't think you will be disappointed with "Suicide Kings"
    Good movie.

12. The Shocker

The Shocker Member

Winter Kills

Draft saved Draft deleted