1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Celebration of Hines Ward

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Oct 21, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. 93Devil is right about Lewis's ability to shut down running plays to the outside as well as up the middle. For all the bullshit and as much as I dislike the guy, I have to admit he absolutely belongs in the discussion for greatest inside linebackers.

I don't know how you could possibly compare him with Taylor. They were called upon to play roles that are so different. Give me a choice of either guy in his prime and I'd take LT.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He is in the discussion for greatest defensive players of all time regardless of position with Taylor, Ham, Greene and a couple others that are not jumping into my head right away.

3. outofplace

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08297/922147-66.stm

Check out the second note here. NFL Executive VP of Operations Ray Anderson said that while Hines Ward will not be fined for the block that broke Keith Rivers' jaw Sunday, the league may look into making such hits illegal. It reads like the concern is the combination of a blind-side hit and some helmet-to-helmet contact.

I'm beginning to think Troy Polamalu's comments were dead on, and it is only going to get worse.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does that mean the NFL is going to quit selling all those DVDs of the most-violent hits in league history?

And how the hell are they going to write that new rule? "OK, now you can only block people who've made eye contact with you. If they've not made eye contact, or turn their head before contact, it's a 15-yarder."

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Amen. LT is the most dominant force I've ever seen on a football field. And he did it almost his entire career. Not that Lewis isn't great.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

And the NFL has already gone too far when it comes to outlawing hits. Carlin would call it the pussification of a once great league.

7. outofplace

I'm guessing it would be have to be a hit from the blind side in which the helmets make contact, but I'm hoping the league rules committee has the same problem you brought up -- no idea how to write it.

Also, there are enough penalties on special teams plays as it is. This is going to add a hell of a lot more, because so many hits like that one happen on kick returns.

Draft saved Draft deleted