1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Celebration of Hines Ward

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You're leaving off Andy Russell.
    Six-time Pro Bowler, one of the most underrated players in NFL history.

2. Lloyd was a defensive end.

I don't think I lump Woodley in with that group just yet.
    And don't short-change Nickerson.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Nope. Lloyd was an LB.
    Steelers play 3-4.
    LBs in the 1995 Super Bowl were: Lloyd, Green, Kirkland, Brown.
    DL: Steed, Seals, Buckner.

That was a hell of a defense.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, they do look a lot more impressive when you leave out the secondary, which was very ordinary at best.

Man, I would have loved to see that group with a fully-healthy Woodson at corner and Lake where he belonged at safety.

5. Damn It!
    You're right.
    I just remember him lining up as a DE.... I hereby turn in my Steelers card until further notice.
    My apologies.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In theory, when you rush the quarterback almost every play, you pretty much are a DE.

It really makes you appreciate the greatness of Lake and Woodson when the Steelers can bring that many players at the quarterback.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Well, cool.
    That means Lawrence Taylor was not the greatest linebacker ever.
    Jack Ham is back in the discussion, then.

8. 93Devil

No, I think Ray Lewis is the greatest linebacker ever, but I was just helping Evil out a bit.

If you just watched the game and never looked at the roster, you could easily think a player like LT or Lloyd was a stand-up DE.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ray Lewis is the greatest linebacker ever ina couple of ways.

In the history of football, few have been better than Lewis at running in after a play is over, diving on the pile, jumping off, and preening for all to see. And then, of course, the Baltimore stats people credit him with a tackle on the play.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He's also the No. 1 NFL player in history in the "Idiotic entrance that looks like he's having a seizure" category.

But he's No. 2 behind OJ Simpson in "Legal trouble caused by knives."

11. 93Devil

At his prime, you could run a pitch to the left or right, have that tailback run full speed to the sideline and Lewis was always waiting for him.

You could not turn a corner on him. Ever. Forget the outside linebacker, you could not get around their middle linebacker.

He was amazing during the Super Bowl season.

12. If you remember, during Ben's rookie season, Cook predicted blowout wins over both undefeated's, Phily and New England. Most laughed it off, and the Steelers proceeded to blow out both teams. He missed on the ADC title game loss, but he wasn't armsed with the knowlege that Belechick knew the Steelers defensive playbook. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted